27 July 2019 | Marina Taina
William Ennis | Pleasant: middle 70s
Early up today, and we completed the work to do our first epoxy painting. The cleaning was done so we moved to the paint mixing. I had to fight with the cheap paint mixer that I bought, but with my largest screwdriver and a box of vinyl gloves, I finally got the thick paint mixed.
We only mixed 400ml along with 50ml of hardener, but it was more than enough for our use.
Both Gabriel and Adrian had warned us that the fumes would be potent, and they were even more so than we anticipated. It's a difficult physical position for me, as tall as I am, to be bent at the waist with my chest on my thighs, but that's the position needed for me to reach the bottom of the bilge. Even with my vinyl gloves, I managed to get paint on myself, but we got a good single coat on the entire area. We went outside and painted the two angle pieces, and since I had some paint remaining, I returned to the bilge and caught anyplace that I missed. The 400ml seemed about right for the job.
When we were done, I immediately walked to the trash with the disposable supplies The fumes were so harsh that we simply had to leave the boat. We've been ensconced in the "crow's nest" at the marina office for two hours enjoying a bit of Internet, something that I've been unable to do for several days.
As I write this, I note that it's been weeks since I've written about anything other than work. That's not a surprise, but it paints a picture of our lives that's a bit less exciting that usual. A friend of mine, Reinhardt, mentioned that our trip seemed to be a work-only trip and it does seem that way, even to us. Having said that, we're in the beautiful Marina Taina, with acmes to water and power, showers (well, cold showers) and intermittently usable Wifi. The area around the boat is stunning and I'll get some photos posted.
Sunday We did attend the gear swap with the old parts that we wanted to sell, but had no takers. We returned to the boat, pushing our full shopping cart of equipment and began our work for the day. First and foremost was to repack the old Nanni instrument panel wire bundle with the new one for the Beta. Adrian taught Conni how to remove the pins from the gang connector so she adroitly got that done. I manuvered the old cable until it was a straight shot and we actually had little difficulty for a task that we'd dreaded. Done! Conni replaced the pins and we're ready to connect the to the engine when needed. I removed the old instrument panel and sawed out enough space to mount the new panel although we'll design a nicer mounting and have it fabricated at home. Lastly, we mixed more epoxy paint and gave the angle steel another coat, and with the remaining paint, we did some touchup on the bilge. Hopefully the paint will cure before tomorrow.
The gear swap was sponsored by the Polynesian Cruisers' Association. We HAD to join, of course! The other people were great, cruisers from around the world. English was the language and it was fun to talk to people who had been at it for a many years. They're a rare breed, those who take to the ocean as a way of life.