Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 August 2019 | Pension Tiare Nui
16 August 2019 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 August 2019 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 August 2019 | Apooiti Bay
10 August 2019 | Avea Bay, Huahine
08 August 2019 | Avea Bay, Huahine
05 August 2019 | Opunohu Bay
02 August 2019 | Marina Taina
01 August 2019 | Marina Taina
31 July 2019 | Marina Taina
30 July 2019 | Marina Taina
30 July 2019 | Marina Taina
27 July 2019 | Marina Taina
26 July 2019 | Marina Taina
25 July 2019 | Marina Taina
24 July 2019 | Marina Taina
23 July 2019 | Marina Taina
22 July 2019 | Marina Taina
18 July 2019 | Marina Taina
16 July 2019 | Marina Taina

Engine Mounted!

30 July 2019 | Marina Taina
William Ennis | Hot!
Business as usual. 0800 crew arrival, cleanup of the slimy mountain of black caulk that was applied to the stringer tops, and then we moved the engine into place on the angle steel.

Adrian and Gabriel and I pushed and shoved the engine around unit we got the bolt holes in the motor mounts aligned with the drilled and tapped holes in the angle steel. With that done, we seated the Allen bolts, and did another round of aligning, taking care to keep stress in the motor mounts.

When we moved the coupling up to the transmission flange, they connected perfectly. Two weeks of alignment work paid off. There are other problems, but none so huge as this, and now it's past.

We had purchased a remote oil filter system since the CAD analysis indicated that we wouldn't be able access the oil filter port on the engine: the right front foot was in the way, according to the drawings. As we were struggling with the engine alignment, it seemed to me that there was sufficient space to easily fit a filter, and so it turned out to be. Eliminating the mounting of the remote filter will reduce the install time and eliminate our having to have an hydraulic truck visit to fabricate longer hoses. That's a win.

We've had to deal with our control cables since we decided to use the old ones, one being too long, the other too short, but we've managed to do that. Both our throttle and transmission cable now work.

The fancy new coupling needed to be tightened, and that requires a torque wrench. Adrian's torque wrench couldn't reach his needed location so he borrowed all of my ratchet extensions: his torque wrench extended over 1/2 a meter! It was ludicrous but it worked.

Like most exhaust on sailboats, we have "wet" exhaust. Salt water that's pumped into the heat exchanger to scavenge engine heat is then pumped into the hot exhaust gases just as they leave the engine. The seawater cools the exhaust and absorbs a lot of sound. That saltwater/exhaust gas mix travels through exhaust hose into what serves as a muffler: a stainless steel box. From there, it travels by exhaust hose again to a vented loop, then overboard, where it shows as the characteristic splashed water exhaust vented from the boat. The vented loop, by the way, prevents saltwater from being siphoned back into the engine when the exhaust port on the hull is immersed. We now have both pieces of exhaust hose in place, one from engine to muffler through the new exhaust loop that we ordered on the engine, and from muffler overboard. Exhaust hose is always black, heat-resistant hose with a wire spiral in it to prevent collapse in a negative pressure situation. It's heavy and difficult to work with since the wire prevents easy bending.

I placed our new bilge pump/float switch system in the bilge bottom today, but it appears that I'll still have difficulty in accessing it with the exhaust hose system in place. Damn! We've got a working system, so we shouldn't need constant access to it. We did confirm that the wiring was working before we set it in place. As an aside, it's possible to mount a pump in a more accessible location, above the bilge, in fact, and simply drop a hose into the bilge. The non-submersible pumps do not pump as much volume/time of water, so we've kept the submersible pump with all of its complications.

We installed the raw water hoses, from the sea cock to the old strainer. I'll buy a new one and replace it next season. We installed, but had to modify, the alternator charging system. I've got to work on that tomorrow, Adrian's boat watch day. We installed the feed and return fuel lines, although I forgot to re-route the return line so that's an important task for me tomorrow. We installed the anti-siphon system.

The anti-siphon system that came with the Beta uses the same principle as the one that we've been using, but it requires that we drill a small hole in the hull, something that I'm loath to do. Conni and I will think about it.

So, the engine is installed but all of the various connections aren't complete.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.