These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

23 July 2021 | Pension Tiare Nui
20 July 2021 | Pension Tiare Nui
19 July 2021 | Pension Tiare Nui
17 July 2021 | Pension Tiare Nui
04 July 2021 | Anchorage, Alaska
25 September 2020 | Home
20 September 2020 | Pension Tiare Nui
17 September 2020 | Pension Tiare Nui
14 September 2020 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2020 | Raiatea Carenage yard
10 September 2020 | Raiatea Carenage slip
10 September 2020 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
06 September 2020 | Vaiaeho Bay, Raiatea
04 September 2020 | Tapuamu Bay, West Side of Taha'a
31 August 2020 | Mooring Field, Bora Bora Yacht Club
28 August 2020 | Mooring Field, Bora Bora Yacht Club
25 August 2020 | Bora Bora Yacht Club mooring field
24 August 2020 | Tapuamu Bay, West Side of Taha'a
23 August 2020 | Tapuamu Bay, Taha'a
21 August 2020 | Tapuamu Bay, Taha'a


01 August 2019 | Marina Taina
William Ennis | Bloody hot today!
Blog 1 Aug 2019

Marina Taina

17 34.91S:149 37.16W


As we complete this project, Conni and I have thought about the difficulties that we would have had to manage had we been on a mooring instead of this wonderful side tie in the marina. Had we spent 5 weeks on a mooring, we'd have been running the generator to recharge our house bank batteries and all of our electronics would be charging with 12VDC from those batteries. The solar panels would have helped, of course, but the generator would have been the main source. We would have been hauling water by the 5-gallon jug, or we would have pressed our water maker into service. In either case, it would have been more complicated than unrolling a hose and turning a spigot. We don't think twice about running a fan or charging a laptop with shore power, but every use needs to be monitored if we're running only on battery power. Life would have been considerably more difficult on a mooring. We are grateful for being in Marina Taina. The harbor master, Philippe Oditte, lives aboard a newly-purchased used boat just a few slips away from us. He told us that in summer (off season here) he moves his boat to the location that we are now because of the side tie and ease of access to everything.

The marina itself is lovely, filled with boats large and small. We've grown to appreciate just how attached to the water these people are. Men and women both own and operate boats, large and small. On Friday night, the exodus begins and the flotillas of craft depart, but that continues into Saturday, after which the population returns, carefully piloting through the marina and washing their boats before returning home. This is a sea-loving community.

Thursday began at 0800, as usual, with Adrian's "Good morning". Since he's Hungarian, he sounds like Bela Lagosi, the silent film star/"talkie" star of many Dracula movies. I hadn't thought of that and now I can't get it out of my mind when I hear him.

Adrian said that he needed to bleed the engine on this first startup, so he opened what he thought was the bleed valve on the injector pump and I switched on my electric fuel pump. Nothing. For 30 minutes, we tried to track down the problem of no fuel, even to my opening the fuel tank top and looking to make sure we have fuel. In the end, the valve that Adrian opened was NOT a fuel bleed valve. I'm writing to the factory today to learn what the damned valve does since it's not mentioned in the manual.

At any rate, we worked on checking connections, connecting the new instrument panel, and confirming procedures and at 0935, the engine burst into life. It starts quickly and runs well. The throttle and transmission actually work, although they're both backward from what they should be. In theory, we can attach both cables so that they're in the correct orientation.

We've worked through issues with the charging system, a buzzer that wouldn't stay quiet, adding the "calorifier" system (scavenging engine heat to heat pressure water and a small cabin heater), and a few more issues. By 1600, we had the engine in gear and had it running for half an hour at 1500RPM. It's quieter than our old Nanni, to be sure, but not quiet. Tomorrow, we will complete the final checks and take our sea trial.

What's left? Both our throttle and transmission levers are opposite of what we had and I'm unsure of the fix. The sound insulation won't get done, at least this year. The blower won't be mounted nor ducting completed, but it's important so I'll do that. Considering the amount of work that's been done, it's not much, I guess, but it looks like another few days next year. We were planning on spending some time here, anyway.
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page:
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.