Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Work in the Heat

15 August 2019 | Pension Tiare Nui
William Ennis | Been hot!
This is our second night in Pension Tiare Nui and, holy smokes is it nice! Air conditioned room, hot shower, room to spread and sort our stuff: I know that it's a low bar, but when one works all day in humid heat, it's a miracle to suddenly be clean and cool and stay that way all night.

Conni went up the mast today and removed the Windex (a purely mechanical wind direction indicator) and our electronic wind sensor. They don't need to be in the wind and sun for so many months so we remove them at the end of each season. She can also check nuts and bolts on her way up and down the mast. Several years ago, she discovered that our radar mount was loose so the i could get it fixed before a catastrophe.

Both main and jib are down and stowed. The same with our dinghy, although Madame Faux, our wonderful sail maker, is fabricating a dinghy storage bag for us out of material that we bought and brought with us. We hope that the bag provides sun and rain protection during the hot season as the bags do that she made for our two sails.

Conni's remaining big on-deck chore is to modify our mast boot system so it doesn't leak like a sieve. She got some hints and suggestions from a good rigger in Marina Taina and we both hope for the best. At the least, the bilge pump works on automatic, so if we continue to get leaks, we can rid the boat of the water.

We got the Honda generator prepared for storage, and the Mercury outboard, too: two big tasks for me. All in all, we had a successful day.

Wednesday, we continued our work on decommissioning the boat. Now that the big items are done, things move more slowly. Conni worked on various on-deck chores and helped me with "summer-izing" our new engine. It didn't go smoothly since it was our first time, but we're done. It did take several hours of Conni's time, though, and we depart the island on Tuesday morning. Yikes!

We fetch our newly-made dinghy bag tomorrow and Conni works on the mast leak and scrubs the hull at waterline. I've got some fabrication chores to do since the engine installation changed a lot of structures in the boat and we're not sure we'll remember to make the changes next year.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.