Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

An Evening to Remember

16 August 2019 | Pension Tiare Nui
William Ennis | Hot and humid
When we arrived at the Carenage, among the boats near to us was a one-off owned and sailed by an older guy named Larry. He came by and introduced himself to us and invited us for a sundowner: a cocktail.

We work hard in the heat, so when 1700 rolled around, we were ready for a break and climbed aboard his boat. It was a wonderful evening, listening to his stories of tavels around the world: the Near East, Far East, and points in between. He's in his late seventies, I imagine, and still at it. He doesn't single-hand, but finds compatible crew as he travels.

We skipped his invitation last night but on our last Friday night, we decided to accept. We had given him 10 gallons of diesel and 3 gallons of gas that we didn't want to keep over the season so didn't feel bad about drinking his wine and beer. We climbed aboard at the usual 1700 hours and I started in on his HInano, although he and Conni shared a bottle of white wine. They began to talk about wine and another of his many jobs was at a winery in...Missouri! Conversations with Larry lead to countless stories of his travels and his life that surprise and amaze. It was a great evening.

Conni and I had also planned to have a meal at a roulotte, one of the food wagons, and it was after 2000 hours before we climbed down the ladder from Larry's boat. We drove into town, planning to have a meal at the same roulotte at which we had eaten when we began the season and were commissioning the boat.

There' a burger joint in town, "Tonton Burger" that's rarely open, or at least it's never consistently open during the day. We wondered how it survived being closed so frequently. Low and behold, it was open as we drove past! We swerved into the parking lot, our last burger having been at the Pink Coconut in Marina Taina during the first week we were there. As we entered the open air restaurant, we heard then saw a 7-person ukulele band! The secret of Tonton Burger seems to be that they're open at night! Who knew? The band was great, with two women with one on spoons, one guitar, and four ukulele players, one of whom played an 8-string instrument and he was a superb musician and the obvious leader. they sang in Polynesian and there were always new people in the restaurant listening. We got our burger and fries and as much local music as we could want. It was glorious! I snapped a few surreptitious photos that I'll post soon.

I've winnowed the engine parts that I want to take home and sell: they're all in our room, ready to be weighed and packed. Most of the boat work is done, although some large projects remain, such as Conni's mast work. We dropped by our sailmaker's business and fetched our dinghy storage bag. Madame Faux, laughed the the bag was large enough for both she and Conni to be stored inside it, and it was! At 28-inches in diameter and 5-feet tall, Conni would certainly fit. Still, it's a great fit for our dinghy and keeps it from sun and weather damage and since we leave the dinghy stored on deck. Both of our sails and now the dinghy reside on-deck in a Madame Faux-built bag.

After this evening, we're back at work.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.