Progress and Plans
30 July 2021 | Pension Tiare Nui
William Ennis | Sun, rain, sun, rain. sun...
We didn't splash the boat today. We just have too many uncertainties and Dominique, the yard owner, generously offered to splash us on Monday afternoon. We can stay the night in the slip and leave on Tuesday sometime. That's our plan. We'll probably spend a few days on Taha'a, the island in our same lagoon, in Tapuamu, one of our favorite anchorages. There's a great rum distillery there, too! From there, we'll sail to Huahine, about 25 nm away, then on east to Tuamotus, Apataki, specifically. The aforementioned Dominque has called ahead and made arrangements for a warm greetings, so we're pretty excited. It's a 3-day sail, so any communication will be via SSB.
We've done so much these past two weeks, and we have so little remaining, but we have tasks that remain and we are uncertain of the outcome. Primary among them are whether the engine will start. We have absolutely no reason to doubt that it will, but we've been bitten too many times not to hesitate.
We have some last minute shopping to do, food as well as engine supplies such as two gallons of oil. The engine uses 10 of oil, so having a supply is essential.
On 22 July, we sent a help request to B&G about our wind sensor, and we've received nothing. We're pretty discouraged and angry about it, but there's nothing to be done. No wind instruments again. I was not able to make our new B&G chart plotter communicate with our old Raymarine autopilot but since that's not working, it's not crucial. I hadn't expected to find that it had failed so I'll have to cart it home for repairs. Damn.
Our pressure water works, our stove works, and we did get the dorados painted. The dorades that we have are in two sizes and only the inside of the dorado need be painted. A dorado, by the way, is an air ventilation device that looks like the bell of a tuba. It stands up from the deck and scoops air into the interior though a baffle system that excludes water: a good idea. Start the process with a few hours of preparatory work to clean and remove all loose paint, then determine how to proceed. So, how does one paint the inside of a circular hole? I used a short piece of wire, a pen, and a punch to draw the proper sized circle on a 3-tab folder: the punch at the center point, a carefully measured wire with loops in each end to hold the punch and a pen. I cut out the circle, creating a circular hole in the folder, and taped the folder to a piece of cardboard with a rough hole in it. Using a can of spray paint directed through the folder hole while the folder was carefully covering anything but the dorado hole, we painted the inside! It worked like a charm.
Our Hydrovane, the wind-powered steering unit, is attached at two places on our transom. Both attachment points sit on pads that I had fabricated before e left Seward and both made of wood. Through the years, the wood has cracked so we ordered a replacement pad and we installed it this year. It had to be modified to fit our transom, but a bit of sanding accomplished that. With a liberal application of caulk, we completed that yesterday.
Last night, we had dinner at Roulotte Oray with our friends from Juneau, Bill and Marjorie from Second Wind. It was a fine meal and they regaled us with stories of their circumnavigation: quite an accomplishment. I'll post photos of them this weekend, but there are photos of the meal that i posted last night
So, we're poised. Wish us luck.