Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Birthday Blog

10 August 2021 | Avea Bay
William Ennis | Hot!
What a fine day to turn 72! I turned 70 here in Avea Bay in 2019, and now we've returned for my 72nd.

We had a gentle trip southward from Fare. It required 2 hours of motoring but we were inside the reef the entire time, so no surf or weather to contend with. The engine purred and the electronics worked, so it was smooth going. I am still watching the stuffing box, that device surrounding the prop shaft exit from the boat into the water. It's got to be tight but allow a few drops per minute to enter the boat, since water provides lubrication and cooling to the device and shaft. I had to open the stuffing box a bit but a new wrench that I brought makes that less a hassle than it once was. The other device is the bilge hose that I had repaired, but it seems to stay away from the prop shaft coupling, thankfully.

There are some very shallow passes as one closes on Avea Bay, with water being only 15-feet for a 1/2 mile or so: very nerve-wracking. Our keel is no deeper than 6-feet, but when one can easily and clearly see the bottom, it gets one's attention. I've already grounded us once this trip and would just hate a repeat.

When we finally entered the bay there were very few boats, in complete contrast to what we saw of the bay as we were approaching Huahine a few days back. With enormous good luck, we snagged a mooring very close to the Mahana Resort, the home of our favorite restaurant here. They're supportive of cruisers and allow us to use their dinghy dock to land. We usually sneak hot, stand-up showers here, too. The mooring was not the best, having lost a single strand of its 3-strand diameter, so we tied another separate line around the base of the mooring floats. We should be OK, but we'll check each day.

Yesterday, we spent time relaxing on the boat and took a short walk up the belt road. This far south, there are very few cars and the distance between the shore and the steep volcanic hillside is perhaps 500 feet. Houses are squeezed in that short distance, and the belt road, too. It's very a low-density area.

South of us we've seen nothing but very dark rain clouds, so we were totally surprised that there was so little rain last night. Sprinkles, yes, but no downpour.

On awakening this morning, it was my 72nd! Conni prepared an omelet of the requisite eggs, some lovely tomatoes, onion and cheese. What a fine way to start my birthday. We motored to the dinghy dock and took off on a long walk toward Fare. I'll post some photos when I can. It was extremely humid and hot today so of necessity, we had to stop our walk and return to the boat for some shade and cold water. Even with all of our accommodation, we can't handle the maximum of heat and humidity that we sometime encounter here.

After a rest and lunch, we put our plan for the day into action. But first, a beer aboard!

We motored to the dinghy dock with our evening clothes and shower gear. We know of a shower for guests and we only use it when we have a dinner reservation, rationalizing that it makes it more official. At any rate, we both were able to take a hot, stand-up shower before dinner, a real treat! As an aside, along with closing and bathing gear, we also must take at all times an air pump for the dinghy floats, a big multi-battery light for fining our way back to the boat at night, and various other essentials for the trip there and back. On day trips, I also carry my "cutlass" or machete as we know it. It slays coconuts should be find one, but also deters dog packs from attacks. We've actually dealt with that and it was the impetus for my carrying it at all times ashore.

Dinner was preceded by cocktails, of course, and we both enjoyed a beautify prepared fish dish, then dessert. Again, I'll post when possible.

Wifi has been virtually non-existent this trip. I've piggy-backed on Conni's cell, but in Fare that was too slow for practical use. We don't remember so little Wifi available. The Huahine Yacht Club used to have free Wifi and now they have none. I cannot hazard a guess on reasons, but it's been difficult to post photos or blogs without a vigorous Wifi.

Back on the boat, we had to run the generator to charge batteries, but otherwise it's been a lovely day. Tomorrow the plan is to take a dinghy ride further south, perhaps even to a marae that we know and have walked to several times.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.