Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Waiting on Raiatea 7-8 Sept

31 December 1969 | Raiatea
William Ennis | Hot
7 Sept Not much to relate since we do chores and read. There are so few tasks that we can complete since we're out here at anchor. Most of our usual decommissioning tasks must be completed after we're on land, so here we sit.

After a bit of a struggle, I removed the old Raymarine autopilot for our return home. Eventually, we'll return it to the factory for a rebuild. I also removed the control head, since Conni's notes showed that we had trouble with it last year. The removal for the linear drive, the actual device that moves the rudder, was no worse than I thought it would be, but it was still tedious. Removing the control head was considerably simper. Again, they'll both be sent for repair. Perhaps we'll have a working autopilot next season. Won't that be grand?

Perhaps I haven't mentioned it, but B&G has finally responded. They offered a few other remedies for pairing the sensor to the base station, but none were successful. They've already sent a new WS320 unit to our home. I'll do everything that I can to test the pairing before I drag it to the boat, just to ensure that it works.

8 Sept.

We're still awaiting our removal from the water. Supposedly, Dominique and his crew will return this afternoon or evening and will put their sea-going tug in the slip used to remove boats: we can't stay there. According to the office staff, we'll get removed from the water tomorrow, but we suspect that it'll be late in the afternoon. That further delays our plans for decommissioning the boat, as well as throwing a monkey wrench in our ability to get our rental car from the Pension. With any luck at all, we'll be in the bungalow tomorrow night, so this is our last night aboard. Momentous.

Our plan at this point is to arise at 0600 tomorrow and use the semi-light and low wind to pack both sails. Perhaps we'll get to the dinghy as well: stowing the outboard, lifting her from the water, and lashing her down. That will clear the decks for removal and stowing of our solar panels and other cockpit coverings. We've lost three days of work time and we'll be struggling to catch up.

The dinghy must be cleaned of marine growth and salt, the rolled up and packed in her storage bag. All of that it my work. Conni will start on below decks chores.

We'll motor to the slip so the engine oil will be hot. As soon as we're there I'll get oil samples for the analysis of both engine and transmission oil: I've been doing that each year since we installed the new engine and transmission. Having a new engine and transmission is THE time to begin such a tracking process. If they lift us immediately, I'll wait until the boat is in her cradle. With the samples taken, I'll change both engine and transmission oil and another of my main tasks will be done. That task includes running fresh water through the engine cooling system to remove as much salt as possible, another task best started with a new system.

Tomorrow night at the Pension Tiare Nui, I will probably post this and the previous blogs that I've not been able to post, as well as several pages of photos. I hope that you get the chance to see and read them all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.