Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Preparing the Boat for Living Aboard

28 July 2022 | Pension Tiare Nui
William Ennis | Hot and windy
We got the last few wiring tasks completed today, WhooHoo! Can't believe it's finally done.

When we returned this morning, we fussed with our epoxied rudder indicator piece. The epoxy worked, seemingly, so we attached the threaded rod that connects the rudder indicator to the tiller arm and all seemed OK. We simply didn't the time to continue on the dockside commissioning for the autopilot system, but we can begin when we have more time.

The lazarette (a locker in the stern) in which the autopilot sits is now clean and neat with no hanging wires, and we even vacuumed it. We completed the wiring and wire management in the Man Cave, using cable ties to support and manage the many cables and wires that send power and data to and from the many electronics there. We also got the solar panels completely wired and they were cooking today! As a small test, we shut off power from the yard, and they easily kept up with all demand. That second controller is doing a fine job. I'm surprised that it makes such a difference. Much of the difference is 7 more years of solar technology improvement, of course, but not having one panel's temporary lower output not reduce the output of the other panel is the other. One panel was tilted away from sun so could have reduced the output for both panels in our previous setup, but with a controller on both panels, both produce the highest output possible. We could tell the difference.

Conni got the bimini installed after the panels were up. She also started moving things around below decks for our move into the boat next Monday. Oh, yeah...we couldn't get another few days here at the pension, so we'll have to move to the boat and stay in the yard. We know it means cold showers, heat, and much less convenience, but the two weeks we needed for this autopilot consumed as much time as we feared it would. The yard's shower has no hot water and a nighttime bathroom run means climbing up and down the ladder at night: neither of us is a fan of that maneuver.

At day's end, we moved the outboard to its outside mount, clearing an entire bench for sitting. Our 38-year-old fridge has been faithfully working almost the entire two weeks we've been working. We'll have to fill our butane tanks: there's no propane in the South Pacific. As we complete tasks, we'll begin to stow tools and supplies, leaving the boat ready for habitation. We each have a mountain of normal commissioning chores, and we'll begin those tomorrow.

Wish us luck.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.