Remembrance and Progress
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
William Ennis | Very windy and rainy
A short moment for citizens who died in the attack 22 years ago. I remember the day and what I was doing when I first heard, same as for Kennedy's assasination.
We've been busy after Wings being pulled last Friday. We worked a bit on Friday, but groceries and checking into bungalow were more important.
Saturday, it blew enough to remove any chance of getting the sails down, so we did other work. On arrival, i used a product called Fles Set to r-glue the rub rail on our dinghy. It's a great product and, using some blue tape to hold things in place, I got the rail glued into place. I got the engine oil changed and since there's a pump installed, it's easy and clean. I carefully removed a sample for our engine oil analysis, too. We only had 25 hours on the engine this season, but we still replaced the oil. I got the oil filter replaced, too. I also worked on draining and replacing the transmission oil, but was able to remove only 250ml: hardly all of it. It's a difficult thing to do to find the sump while searching blindly with our tiny manual pump. I also tried to get the power working for the boat, and was totally unsuccessful. What a day! We did make a stop on the way to the bungalow and bought engine oil, so we've got that done for next year.
Sunday was a vast improvement. We worked hard all morning, knowing the the weather prediction was for rain and wind for a few days. We were able to get the main down and stowed in its bag. We moved on to the jib and the weather held, so that, too, was done. Hurrah! Our last deck work was to get the dinghy stowed in its bag. For the most part, that's our deck work. After lunch, and with Conni's help, we got that damned transmission oil removed! We also got our sample for the oil analysis. We've got lots of chores to do, but those are some of the largest, most time consuming, and by far the most weather-dependent. At some point, we'll flush the engine by running fresh water through it: perhaps tomorrow.
After several hours of effort today, Monday, I finally got our power working. I had several problems to deal with. The electrical box that I was using had a bad breaker. The extension cord supplied by the yard had a mis-wired connection. The 5-feet of American marine electrical cable that I was using had corroded wire on one of the included three. Finally, the usual issue of connecting a 220VAC French Polynesian electrical connection to an American 120VAC marine connection. The wires have different colors and it's complicated since each connector has a different set of wire connections. I had no extra US marine electrical cable, so I constructed a Frankenstein cable with an American marine female on one end, a French Polynesian, all connected by 3 lengths of AWG10 wire! Ugly, but it worked.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, we have a scheduled meeting with Dominique, Hinamoe, and Conni and me, concerning our mast pull and mast step repair. Wish us luck.