Southern Cross

28 March 2012 | McMurdo, Station, Antarctica
18 March 2012 | McMurdo, Antarctica
06 March 2012 | McMurdo Station, Antarctica
02 March 2012 | McMurdo Station, Antarctica
15 February 2012 | McMurdo Station, Antarctica
09 September 2011 | Galveston
25 January 2011 | Galveston Texas
31 December 2010 | Galveston Texas
16 December 2010
16 December 2010 | Galveston Texas
12 December 2010
12 December 2010
12 December 2010 | Galveston Texas
23 September 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica
28 August 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica
15 August 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica
08 August 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica
21 July 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica
08 July 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica

Antarctica

28 August 2010 | McMurdo Station , Antarctica
Antarctica. The big, cold, lonely, dry, dead place. Sometimes dark , sometimes light, rarely both in the same day. Antarctica is however always a beautiful place. What makes this place, that is so harsh and un- forgiving that nothing lives here, so beautiful? Is it the unspoiled and unconquered terrain? Is it the pristine and majestic mountains? Is it the air that is purer than anywhere else on the planet? Is it the skies that are so clear that in the darkness you can see the colors in the Milky way above or during the light , that lets you see fine detail in the mountains that are hundreds of miles away. Or is it the raw power of nature the surrounds you here and effects you daily. Yes. And so much more.

To me the most beautiful thing about Antarctica is all the above mixed with the color that the light paints everything with. Antarctica is basically a black and white place. You have the snow and ice that cover everything. Any rock or soil that is exposed is black. There is nothing that grows here to give us any color. But the sun or light from the unseen sun, paints everything here in so many colors. Vibrant pinks, reds, yellows, and oranges, colors that are so clean and undisturbed. Colors I imagine , a artist sees in his head, but can never achieve with mere man made paints and dyes. Or capture with any film. This is pure color, color that is untainted by atmosphere, color as it was all over when the world first came into existence.
As I sit on the side of a hill and look out over the frozen world laid out before me, I am mesmerized and in awe at the beauty my eyes take in. It is like starring into a night's star filled sky and feeling small. I feel small, humble and very lucky to be right here, on this harsh frozen continent.

Cheers

W /)~~~~
Comments
Vessel Name: Hokule'a
Vessel Make/Model: 1978 Morgan 382
Hailing Port: Galveston Texas
Crew: Capt. Wally Walker
Hokule'a's Photos - Main
Winter 09
29 Photos
Created 4 May 2009