Worship Sailing

Mission sailing adventures

10 September 2023 | Livingston, Guatemala
21 August 2023 | Islamorada Florida
30 June 2023 | Marsh Harbor, Abaco
04 June 2023 | Tahiti Beach , Elbow Cay , Bahamas
29 May 2023 | Sea of Abaco
12 August 2022 | Sea of Abaco
25 June 2022 | Man O War Cay
04 June 2022 | Marsh Harbor Bahamas
28 May 2022 | Marsh Harbor Abaco, Bahamas
23 May 2022 | Bimini
01 May 2022 | Islamorada Florida
30 April 2022 | Yucatan Channel
28 April 2022 | Departing Guatemala
11 December 2021
15 November 2021 | P. G. Belize
11 November 2021 | Guatemala

Worship Sailing Hurricane Dorian Mission to Marsh Harbor

12 February 2020 | Crab Caye , Abaco
gg | sunny and clear
Feb 10 2020

The wind is blowing, Viento Azul is rocking and rolling! Making way through the 9 o'clock Snake Creek draw bride as it is raising up to open our entrance into the sea in the Florida Keys. Stowing the last minute items, while making last repairs the wind continues blowing 25 knots, stirring the sea into milky white. We are motoring out the channel though the waves head on until we are able to make a point of sail! Many a thank you we send out to our chase boat with Jeff, Christi and our son Trevor for such a loving departure and picking up Captain Steve our friend and partner and to all who has been lending their hands to aid in the success of this mission .

We are sailing closed haul, pointing into the wind as close as we are able which is not necessarily the most comfortable point of sail. Foamy white rollers crashing about is our start as we head towards the Gulf Stream to cross over to Marsh Harbor Bahamas. Our mission is to serve those rebuilding from Hurricane Dorian. This is our third trip over since Dorian wreaked havoc, September 2019. We are a team of 7, Captain Ted, Gail , Robert , Ron, Caroline, Randy and Nancy. Along with us a team of 4 aboard Adonai with Captain Josh, Jamie, Lecia and Kaye. Captain Terry will be joining us later this week with his vessel filled with relief supplies.

The wind and sea calm as the day progresses brining relief from being joggled around. One solo friendly dolphin approaches us for a moment at lunch time and departs as quickly as she arrived! Our day continues well until a lobster pot grabs hold and steals the port prop off of S/V Adonai as we near Elliot Key and Pacific Light. It is now 4:30 p.m. and a decision is made to continue on course and have the necessary parts flown in when we change out team members in the Bahamas. Our speed is averaging between 5-8 knots. Our next way point is West End ,Old Bahamas Village on Grande Bahama which is 110 miles away.

The wind has decreased and the sky is now a mixture of pastel grays forming a beautiful contrast against the now calm turquoise seas. The rain spits but never forms as our world is about to change again. As we pass over the reef into the deep blue of the Gulf Stream; the waves peak up and continue to rattle and drop our vessels through out the night.

Dinner time rolls around and working in the galley is a bit of a challenge. Eventually we get food to the table and prepare the ship before the dark of night takes over. We give special thanks to Cathy for prepping and preparing many meals prior to our departure, making our lives easier and delicious!

Team work is what makes for unity and a successful sail. Preparation for any mission plays an integral roll to execute and empower our ability to serve others. Our goal is to be available and present to others, to love and to encourage as we lend our hands in rebuilding efforts. Worship Sailing believes "We are at war against any thing that causes us to stumble and not live the full abundant life God calls us to."

The crossing has been more than exciting, as the wind continues blowing steady at 25. The horizon is dark and every so often you see a black mountain rise beneath the moon and stars. The erratic confused seas are difficult to see but easily felt. As dawn breaks we approach West End to our starboard side and Indian Caye to our port. Passing from the ocean through Indian Cut and down the channel to Little Bahama Banks is relief! Praise God!

The reflection of the shallow calm water is radiating in the richness of light turquoise, famous to the Bahamas, a beautiful sight! It is a gorgeous day with perfectly smooth sailing under a sunny sky. A few fish on the line bring excitement of a catch, two barracuda and a lizard fish, none are keepers.

Its 4:44 p.m. Veinto Azul position is 26.57 N : 78.13 W
As we near Grand Bahama Island and Great Sale Caye looking around we see the finger prints of Dorian. The vegetation is hurricane brown and tree limbs remain decorating parts of the harbor. We drop our anchor for the night. S/V Adonai glides in beside us to raft up for the night. There is time for a short explore before the sunsets. Hog prints and belly prints in the sand are evident on Great Sale Caye. Colorful vibrant purple and white scattered pieces of coral lay strewn about on the land. All the trees are leaning to the west, on the ground is a carpet of shredded vegetation, but shoots of green are starting to bust forth as the bushes and low lying trees survive such a tremendous blow from Dorian. On the floor of the shallow waters an abundance of sea fans are dancing to the motion of the sea. Life prevails. The sun is fading and all are now aboard Adonai and Viento Azul. We join together to share a meal, thank God, swap sea stories and have a good laugh before we all crash early for the night.

Good morning to a bucket of water in my berth! Someone decided to swab the deck before I arose. What a wake up call, I guess my team is jealous of my sleeping in! Now, I relate to Randy who had the same thing happen the other night while crossing the Gulf Stream. It is very important to dog your hatches when crossing high seas or washing the decks! Another day with bedding flying in the breeze like extra sails. All are in good spirits today with the sun out, seas calm and 50 miles to Marsh Harbor.

Our day is calm and relaxed. Stretching on the bow trampolines feels great after such a bouncy crossing. The calm water is soothing to your scrambled mind from going up and down, this way and that way. The fishing lines are trolling behind. Mr. Barracuda grabs the bait gives a good fight and then is released back to the sea. Mr. Mackerel however is not as blessed. He is now ready for the grill. As we close in on Fox Town Abaco, cell signal appears. Modern day sailing has its conveniences. We are traveling at 6 knots so Marsh Harbor is looking like later tonight . We will need to wait to check in and clear customs til the morning.

Tomorrow is another day with great promises, but today is the present, to be lived with each moment and every breath. So lets make the best of it, and bring glory to our Father in heaven with every word that we speak , every thought that we think, followed with every action that we take. Our faith is in a loving God, a good father who will direct our every step. Breath and Believe!

Comments
Vessel Name: Veinto Azul
Vessel Make/Model: 47
Hailing Port: Tavernier Fl U S A
Crew: Ted & Gail Gordon
Extra: WorshipSailing Adventures
Home Page: worshipsailing.com
Social:
Veinto Azul's Photos - Gaberiella Voyage of Faith (Main)
Photos 1 to 60 of 60
1
Christmas: Santa in the Village
Family on hill: Friends in Ezmeralda
Tree top: Awesome Tree
Girl in Guarita: Beautiful Native Mayan
gg with pina: Good day shopping
Rio Aguas Caliente: Favorite Spot in Guatemala
music house: Music mans house
Funny Pig: Walking friends
IMG_3426: Tree flower in Town
7:4:07 Natalie: Celestial Navigation
gg: gg and spinaker sail
7:3:07: Midgie our friend
7:3:07 Trevor fishing: Pray for fish
7:2:07Fort Jefferson: Ship just arrived two days go
7:2:07 Trevor underwater: Trevor under Gabriella
7:2:07 scarey baracudda: Water Monster & Natalie
7:2:07 Lisa Hammock: Fun on the water
7:2:07 Natalie at Fort: Surfing
6:30:07 Departure: Heart on Apple from Marietta
7:2:07 Chef Trevor: Trevor cooking Carolina Steaks
7:1:07 Sunset: Lisa in Gods beuaty
7:1:07 Our Friends: Waves of Love
6:23:07 The Blessing: Pasto Marlin, Goldie and Pastor Gary with Family
4:7:07 Mary& John: Visit from Gram & Papa
4:7:07 Dewinds: Tramp Jumping our friends from air strip
3:29:07 SailingWhale Point: Windsurfing in new home port of whale point Eleuthra
12:17:06 friends Carolynn: Live Nativity Scene aboard Gabriella
12:17:06 boat parade: Ted and Jesus
2:26:07 Manatee: Baby Manatee in Florida
12:17:06Ted & Gail: Welcome Aboard
11:11:06 service: Our Friend Karen
7:22:06 Tuna: 7/22/07 Penny& Gail Tuna fishing
7:13:06 shark: 7/13/06 Trevor Sharkfishing Eleuthra
8:19:06: 8/29/07 Ted Whale Point Future Home
7:19:06Gabriella: 7/19/06 Gabriella under Way Eleuthra
 
1
God's hand at work along with the beautiful people we meet along the way.
No Photos
Created 25 June 2022
Sailing the Sea of Abaco aboard Adonai summer of 2015
6 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
Fun aboard Adonai the BOy Scouts of America rock out on the a Sea of Abaco, Bahamas
23 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Life in Fiji
No Photos
Created 22 June 2008
Photos of Beautiful Niue
No Photos
Created 14 May 2008
Galagapos Departure to Hiva Oa
12 Photos
Created 15 March 2008
No Photos
Created 25 December 2007
These are pictures taken around spots we've been and some of the interesting things I have seen.
4 Photos
Created 8 September 2007
Prayer God Bless all the children in the world.