The last Two Months
16 July 2008 | Savusavu Fiji
Many of you are wondering why we have sold Gabriella. We have been sailing for one year and enjoying out time on this adventure. The original plan was to sail for two years heading to the South Pacific and when arriving Australia making a new decision on which way to go and putting it in Gods hands. Today Ted ,Trevor, and I would like to continue around the globe. With one year left time is ample. Selling a sailboat usually takes quite some time so we put her on the market early. It is hard to believe the first looker is also a buyer. This was really unexpected. We were in Niue 2 weeks after marketing Gabriella and our broker Staley gave us a call notifying us of an interested party. We needed to meet for a first inspection in Tonga with Sandy for an appraisal of Gabriella's condition.. The sail to Tonga was fair weather until the last day coming in across the reef blowing against us a ferocious 25 to 30 knot wind out of the North changing to West which was our welcome to Tonga. Gabriella's first inspection was accepted and now we were to sail to Fiji for a survey as Tonga had no haul out facility to handle Gabriella. Sailing to Fiji was another adventure and I was feeling sea sick and at that time happy if Gabriella was to sell. We arrived in Suva Fiji the proposed port for hauling out and meeting Todd and Renee at that time the prospective buyers. Suva did not work out and now we were to sail over to Nadi Fiji in just a few days for Todd and Renee were flying in from California with Hunter and Kells the marine surveyor. The rain was falling hard and the wind once again 25 to 30. Dark, grey, dreary and scary with the black of night approaching as hidden rocks lay about never mind the entire mountain we could not see and possible ships passing . We had pulled in behind a small sliver of land to wait out the storm 30 miles outside of Suva. In the morning clear, low and behold was a mountain staring at as. Where did that come from? Sailing is an adventure we spent a couple of nights bouncing on anchor pelted by wind and rain waiting for a break in the weather and trying to make a schedule. Finally leaving our safe harbor the storm was persisting we sailed swiftly a blessing of the downwind direction to just outside of Nadi where the sun decided to shine. Once inside the reef all was calm and peaceful , totally another world.
The day came and Ted, Gail and Trevor were to meet Todd, Renee, Hunter and Kells. Still we were not able to haul Gabriella out in a shipyard. The conclusion with minor hesitation was to beach her in Musket Cove on the sandbar. The survey was finally completed along with all the stress that came with the process of preparation for the last few weeks. With a couple days left in Fiji for our new found friends we all decided to go and have fun by sailing Gabriella out to the reef and spend the day snorkeling surfing and plain just being friends leaving business partially behind. By the time Renee and Todd flew home we had come to an agreement and now it was to wait on the written contract.
Written contract in hand we sailed east to Savusavu Fiji for the closing not knowing that insurance would be the hold up. Two weeks here in soggy Savusavu waiting . After much aggravation and perservance the deal has been complete. Any moment now Todd and Renee will arrive Savusavu Fiji with Janet and we will all set sail on their boat delivering Gabriella to California. Todd and Renee are very adventurous as this will be a most difficult sail for a first time off shore.
With the desire to continue around the globe I must trust that this is Gods plan unfolding. I am still praying for calm seas favorable winds and good health. As you can see we are in Gods Hands. It is His plan His way. Jesus saves. I may fight the sea but I certainly do not desire to fight God . He is directing our way for Jesus saves and in this I do trust. Gabriella , California bound in His time in His way for His ways are higher. I am believing God......How about you?