Kasasa

13 November 2016
22 March 2015 | (actually writing this from Nanaimo)
26 February 2015 | Punta Perula, Chamela Bay
01 February 2015 | Punta Perula, Mexico
21 January 2015 | Punta Perula, Chamela Bay, Mexico
04 January 2015 | San Blas
02 December 2014 | Guaymas (Boat Yard) Mexico
21 November 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
17 November 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
01 November 2014 | Page, Arizona
30 October 2014 | Page, Arizona
28 October 2014 | Moab, Utah
23 October 2014 | Colorado
18 October 2014 | Rapid City, South Dakota
18 October 2014 | South Dakota
22 May 2014 | Nanaimo, BC
10 April 2014 | Somewhere in Oregon
27 March 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
12 March 2014 | La Paz, Baja, Mexico
04 March 2014 | San Blas, Mexico

Guest Blog

07 March 2012
Lynne & Harvey
We were both so excited Feb 14 finally arrived. We had had booked flights in September and this 2 week holiday just seemed to take forever to get here. We wanted to go to Zihuatanejo when we were cruisers ourselves back in 1997, but we did not go any further south than Manzanillo. We were very happy when Ian and Ellen said they would travel to Zihuat. After we "pushed the button and got the green light" at immigration gate (the lady directly in front of us got the red light) we saw the smiling faces of Ian and Ellen. Our small hotel, Canta del Mar, was wonderful and is run by a Mexican family. The hotel owner, Alicia was pleasant but did not speak english and as our spanish was very rusty, the fun of communications began. Fortunately, Alicia's daughter, Karla was very fluent in english and she dropped by regularly to help out. We spent 7 days at Canta del Mar and I have to say something about Alicia. One day Lynne caught her baby toe on a power pole guy wire. We thought it was broken. Alicia, a very kind and caring person, saw the swollen, black and blue foot, took over and began foot and temple massage, ice, ointment application and wrapping. Fortunately, the toe was not broken, but the therapy had Lynne back on her feet in no time.
Ian and Ellen had arrived the week before and we immediately benefited, with low cost collectivos (taxis, normally vans that share ridership with others), buses which are an even better value, great places to eat, shop and of course sights to see. A highlight included a day trip to Playa Linda to see the wild crocodiles. Wild is probably not a good adjective, as I am sure there is no such thing as a tame crocodile, but they were behind a big strong fence. We also took the dinghy into the lagoon at Zihuat. to look at the local crocs. There were around 15 of them in the water. Some were small and some were big! When you are in the dinghy with crocs swimming nearby, your butt is within easy biting distance. Ellen and Lynne were a little concerned, to put it mildly, when we got really close to take pictures.
Ian wanted to go on an overnight fishing trip that would take Kasasa 50 miles offshore and leave Ellen and Lynne at the hotel. The promise of catching large yellow fin tuna was very enticing. Kasasa weighed anchor and was out of the harbour by 6 PM. The next morning, the boys were 50 + miles offshore, the seas were lumpy and the fishing reels were quiet. They remained that way for the whole trip, unless you count 2 small inedible mexican tunny caught 5 miles outside the bay. Fortunately, there were many birds, porpoises and even a whale to see.
We were given a hand held VHF radio to keep in touch and were immediately introduced to the "Zihuatanejo Cruisers Net". Every day, at 9 AM, a controller would start the net and go through a checklist that among other things included roll call, arrivals, departures and the weather forecast. We used our old boat name "Two Jack" for radio identification. It was amazing as the days went by, we met other cruisers, knew their boat names and even experienced a sense of loss when some of the boats left for other destinations. Zihuat seems to be the place where cruisers decide to continue south to Central America and beyond or turn around and head back north.
After 7 days, we left the hotel and became Kasasa's crew. We decided to anchor out at Isla Grande, 10 miles to the north and very close to Ixtapa. We tucked Kasasa into a corner of the small bay to avoid the Pacific Ocean swells. The water was 25 C and although the visibility could have been better the snorkelling was fun and productive. The beach offered cold beer, margaritas and a chance to win a game of dominos. Every morning, Ian and Harvey went fishing in the dinghy. The reels were quiet. Ellen's galley would not get a chance to prepare a tasty ceveche dish made from fresh caught fish.
Lynne's loves weaving and she is an active member of the weaver's guild in Richmond. She also has a very busy tabletop loom in the spare bedroom. She was excited to find a store, close to Playa Centro selling hand woven rugs from Oaxaca. After watching a weaver completing a project, she noticed him hand finishing the tassels. The tassels were being twisted one at a time by hand. Lynne uses a special tool called a fringe twister that can twist many tassels at the same time. Harvey drew a picture so the weaver could understand the tool. It looks like it was a hit and would be very nice to see it being used the next time we are back.
Cruising is a unique way of traveling. While laying in the shade on a comfortable palapa chair, gently queezing a lime into a cold cervaza, enjoying an appetizer and watching your ship rolling gently in the ocean swells may sound like a beer commercial, it really is a lot of hard work. For us, traveling to new ports, meeting new people and enjoying an area from the comfort of your own boat were highlights that outweighed the high cost of running a boat, the hours spent doing repairs, difficult voyages, provisioning and of course, the constant vigilance. It was a real treat to relive the lifestyle again, especially since we were able to have all the benefits of cruising without the responsibility. We finished the last few days of the vacation in the Marina at Ixtapa. What a difference between the two towns! Ixtapa was developed and built for tourists! Zihuats history predates the Spanish conquest. Harvey was surprised at the lack of tourists! The beaches were empty and the number of restaurants with the managers practically begging for you to sit at their table was heart breaking. Zihuat. was suffering as well, but fortunately it seems to have a broader base for employment.
Sadly, all holidays must come to an end. Our last day was leisurely, as the flight was late in the afternoon. Ellen came as far as Zihuat where we transferred from one collectivo to another. We gave each other farewells and hugs good by before heading off to the airport. Ian and Ellen will leave their boat in the Baja when they return to Canada for a visit this summer. We will look forward to their visit and a chance to return their hospitality. Adios amigos and thank you for the wonderful holiday!
Harvey & Lynne (Two Jack)
Comments
Vessel Name: Kasasa
Vessel Make/Model: Endurance 35
Hailing Port: Vancouver, British Columbia
Crew: Ellen Gallant and Ian Shepherd
About: Ian was born in South Africa and grew up on the water. He has been sailing for many years including some offshore crewing on various yachts. Ellen was born on the Prairies and the first time she was on a sailboat she was terrified but seems to have conquered her fear - well mostly.
Extra: Our long term goal: Sail off into the sunset... In the meantime, we are continuing to work on our boat, and at our jobs in order to fund that goal. We have been planning this trip for many years, but in the last 4 years we have gotten more 'serious' about it. We plan on leaving in October of 2010.
Kasasa's Photos - Main
19 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
38 Photos
Created 21 February 2015
22 Photos
Created 17 November 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 November 2014
13 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
24 Photos
Created 27 October 2014
19 Photos
Created 23 October 2014
12 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 27 March 2014
16 Photos
Created 27 December 2013
9 Photos
Created 7 April 2013
27 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
40 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
27 Photos
Created 17 February 2013
37 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
28 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 14 June 2012
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
24 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
46 Photos
Created 28 March 2012
9 Photos
Created 27 March 2012
25 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
26 Photos
Created 14 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 14 January 2012
15 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
11 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
21 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
15 Photos
Created 23 November 2011
95 Photos
Created 15 November 2011
16 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
31 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
29 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
25 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
54 Photos
Created 21 September 2011
35 Photos
Created 29 August 2011
15 Photos
Created 12 August 2011
49 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
50 Photos
Created 14 June 2011
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 29 May 2011
23 Photos
Created 29 May 2011
57 Photos
Created 28 April 2011
15 Photos
Created 9 April 2011
30 Photos
Created 5 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2011
19 Photos
Created 2 March 2011
6 Photos
Created 25 February 2011
21 Photos
Created 11 February 2011
21 Photos
Created 25 January 2011
23 Photos
Created 7 January 2011
11 Photos
Created 7 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2010
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
5 Photos
Created 13 November 2010
12 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
Getting the raft repacked
3 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
4 Photos
Created 15 May 2010