Travels of Barbara Anne

Vessel Name: barbara anne
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 48
Hailing Port: santa barbara ca
Crew: Michael Dobrzensky, Dick Shaffer, Barbara Evanish, Ed Evanish
About:
Michael is a long time friend, sailing and all around good guy. Retired E.E. from P.G.&E. His wife Carol will join us in Cabo for a week at our time-share on the 19th after our adventure. Dick is a retired Cal Poly prof. living in lovely (at least six months of the year) Gig Harbor,Wa. [...]
03 March 2014 | San Luis Obispo
24 February 2014 | Marina Costa Baja
11 February 2014 | la Paz
28 January 2014 | Costa Baja Marina
18 January 2014 | Costa Baja Marina
07 January 2014 | Leaving Newport Beach
Recent Blog Posts
03 March 2014 | San Luis Obispo

Return to U.S.

Hola,

24 February 2014 | Marina Costa Baja

Hello from Barbara

Hello form la Paz this beautiful 24th day of February. This is our transition week as we restock the boat after our eight day sailing trip and we get ready for our trip to California. Ed and I will both spend 10 days in the SLO/SB area with family and friends. Barb then heads to Ohio and Ed back to [...]

11 February 2014 | la Paz

Sunset over la Paz

Hola,

28 January 2014 | Costa Baja Marina

Return toLa Paz from Cabo

Hola from La Paz,

18 January 2014 | Costa Baja Marina

Arrival in LaPaz

Buenos Dias,

07 January 2014 | Leaving Newport Beach

On Our Way

Hi Everyone,

Hello from Barbara

24 February 2014 | Marina Costa Baja
Barb/A sunny eighty
Hello form la Paz this beautiful 24th day of February. This is our transition week as we restock the boat after our eight day sailing trip and we get ready for our trip to California. Ed and I will both spend 10 days in the SLO/SB area with family and friends. Barb then heads to Ohio and Ed back to la Paz.

Our eight days at sea introduced us to seven new anchorages-each special in a different way and all worthy of a return trip.

Day 1: Caleta Partida-largest anchorage on the small island of Isla Partida
Day 2: Caleta Partida
Day 3: Ensenada Cardonal-Great hiking, 3 miles north of Caleta Partida
Day 4: Ensenada Grande-home of the Blue Footed Boobies
Day 5: El Embudo-one mile trip to Los Islotes and Sea Lions
Day 6: Isla San Francisco-northern area
Day 7: San Evaristo-small fishing village
Day 8: Bay of San Francisco-large crescent shaped anchorage
Day 9: Back to Marina Costa Baha

I would probably say that the first two and last two were my favorites. Day one and two at Caleta Partida were spent "buddy boating" with Terry and Jay on Cadenza and Diane and Casey on Inca Tu. We enjoyed shared dinners, appetizers and even a breakfast before we each headed out to explore independently. Day two was Valentines day and we were treated to appetizers and cocktails on "Barbara Ann" followed by crab cakes provided by Casey and Diane. Ed delivered on his promise to supply a full moon and Jay ended the perfect day by serenading the anchorage with a trumpet solo of "My Funny Valentine".

El Embudo is at the northwest end of Isla Partida. This is a small anchorage allowing only one boat with a small beach and hiking trails. While we have enjoyed all the trails we have tried on this journey the trail here was extremely rocky for me so we aborted our mission prior to reaching the eastern shore.

We spent a fascinating afternoon taking the dingy approximately a mile from the El Embudo anchorage to Los Islotes. Los Islotes is a sea lion rookery where snorkelers and divers "experience the beauty of swimming with the sea lions and their pups". I was in awe of the size and gracefulness of these California Sea Lions. Male sea lions can grow up to 8 feet long and weigh 800 pounds while females grow to be 6 foot long and weigh 200 pounds. I enjoyed watching and listening-maybe next time I will venture into the water and join in the fun.

San Evaristo is the only inhabited area visited this trip. It is a small fishing village with approximately 20 full time families living there. We anchored in this beautiful and protected bay and took the kayak the half mile to shore. We were able to walk the beach area and then into the hills to locate the school, the tiende (we bought cookies), the salt fields, the desalination plant, a restaurant and multiple palapas on the beach for the local pangueros to clean and pack in ice "today's catch". Panga's were "flying" in and out of the anchorage probably heading to the la Paz mercados.

Our last night was spent at Isla San Francisco which is one of the southern Sea of Cortez's most popular anchorages. The white sandy beach circles approximately 270 degrees and easy walking trails across the salt pond takes you to the eastern shore. The cruiser's guide book states that agates can be found on this shore but we were unsuccessful in this endeavor.

This was a great trip and we look forward to getting better acquainted with the Sea of Cortez as we head north again-probably in April.

While I am enjoying and appreciating la Paz I am now looking forward to heading home with lots of hugs and quality time with family and friends. I am sure the time will pass all too quickly.

Love and hugs to all-Barbara







Comments

About & Links