s/v Wanderlust

Our trip down the West Coast from Washington to San Diego, and then beyond.

12 March 2013 | Fort Frederica, GA
10 March 2013 | Brunswick
09 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
08 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
07 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
06 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
05 March 2013 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 March 2013 | St. Augustine, Florida
03 March 2013 | St. Augustine, Florida
02 March 2013 | St. Augustine, Florida
01 March 2013 | St. Augustine, Florida
27 February 2013 | Palm Coast Mari na
26 February 2013 | New Smyrna, Florida
25 February 2013 | Cape Canaveral, Florida
24 February 2013 | Titusville, Florida
23 February 2013 | Titusville, Florida
14 February 2013 | Vero Beach, Florida
08 February 2013 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 February 2013 | Stuart, FL
05 January 2013 | Friday Harbor, WA

Travelling Days

23 February 2013 | Titusville, Florida
Janet
The last few days have been pure travelling days--no stopping to shop or sight see or just stretch our legs. There are a few good places to stop along the waterway that have everything we need, but then there are long stretches where conveniences are just not there. So we just travel through them. That routine means getting up early and having a quick breakfast and being underway by 8:00. Usually our anchoring spots are just under a high bridge where we can pull off, so to speak, and anchor in about 7-10 feet of water. We get a little wind protection from the bridge structure and sometimes there is a park and place to land the dingy on the causeway so we are able to get a walk at least. Once we pull up anchor in the morning, we just motor back out to the waterway, get in the right lane, and head north. The deepest section of the waterway is marked with red and green markers which sometimes are quite a distance apart so we then rely on our GPS which shows the deepest section like a highway with right and left lanes and a solid mid line. Someone always has to be steering to make sure we don't stray out of this area because that is when groundings occur. So far so good. No tow boats yet for us. John has made himself a perch on the back rail where he can have good visibility above the solar panels and dodger and steer with a pole to the wheel. We do adapt! So far we've had about 6 hour days which isn't too bad and the last 2 days we've had a following wind so we were able to put our head sail out to boost our speed. The waterway varies in width, sometimes being as wide as a lake, but still with a narrow deep section in the middle, and sometimes it narrows down and is more like a river. We find the narrower sections more scenic and interesting. On the east side of the waterway are the barrier islands and they tend to have the mansion size houses. They vary from the moderately wealth homes to the estate homes on large grounds with beautiful architecture (mostly Spanish style), groomed lawns and gardens, and some even with sculptures in the yard. You rarely see anyone who looks like they live there. Mainly you see the gardeners. One time I counted 5 of them working in one large patio area. And I feel guilty when I hire someone to cut my grass and weed whack. We are constantly amazed by the wealth in this country. I guess these are the 1% we keep hearing about.
There is a fair amount of wild life to be seen too. We have been surprised by the number of dolphins that we see every day, and, of course, a lot of bird life. We went through a reserve area where we saw several osprey and their large nests. The highlight though was seeing a pink flamingo the other day. We have been looking for them everywhere, and then one flew right past our boat. John broke down and bought a Florida fishing license, and has caught one that we had for dinner. He just has to catch 4 more to pay for it.
Right now we are near Cape Canaveral so we will try to get over to the facility before we leave. Will fill you in later on that.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 38
Hailing Port: Friday Harbor, Washington
Crew: Janet & John Hart
About: Another trip down the coast 24 years later. Do we still have it in us!
Extra: The first leg of this trip will take us down to San Diego where we will leave the boat until January 2009 when we will rejoin it and leave for Mexico.

Profile for Wanderlust

Who: Janet & John Hart
Port: Friday Harbor, Washington