S/V Bluebottle

22 March 2018 | Barrenjoey head, Pittwater NSW
12 March 2018
15 January 2018
15 January 2018
17 May 2017 | Hobart, Tasmania
07 April 2016
17 March 2015 | Hobart
16 September 2013 | Kings Pier Marina, Hobart
25 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
06 December 2012
11 September 2012

Autumn in Quebec: Do you remember the smell of horses?

02 October 2009 | 45 32.7' N: 071 01.9' W
Joe
I rode a horse today, with Abe, older son on the farm, a tall lanky good-looking young man, joking in Quebequois to Veronique, a very slim young French woman, long black corkscrew curls, as he saddled her horse. I think he is flirting with her. Our horses are all black. We ride through the beech and the saplings colouring in their red and gold and yellow, brown and orange, all the wondrous colour of the the fall in New England, and in Canada. We push through close set branches, uneven ground, where there appears to be no trail. Reaching a road, the horses trot then canter. Abe gives one bit of advice: if you start to fall off, hold onto its mane - hair won't come off, like a saddle will. I ride well, I don't need the advice. Dismounting, we stand still, three riders and three horses - all very still, quiet, silent. Next we wade the horses through a swamp, with mud, fallen trees, rotting limbs, thickstrewn with leaves of all colours, and sometimes the horses sink to their bellies. Emerging now on an easy path by the maple syrup trees - all blue-piped to pull the sap come springtime, it is growing dark slowly, and a de-lightful yellow moon is rising through the trees. La lune! I call to Veronique, who rides ahead. Apparently my French is bad, because she does not see the moon. As I unsaddle Shine, my horse, I receive a kiss. From Shine.

.... .... ....

Out in the cold night, on the deck of this farm in Quebec where I type this, is my little handheld GPS. It lies on its back, thinking about satellites, not about stars. Soon it will know exactly where it is.

I thought - I want to plot a position for you to see where we are! And road maps (of which we have plenty, from New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and all the way to Nova Scotia, plus more) do not show latitude and longitude. It is as cold as Hobart in the fall in Quebec. Six degrees now.

Okay, I have it. 45 deg 32.7' North, 071 deg 01.9' West.

Gotta go. More to come.
PS. Leave a comment. . .Have a go, like the ol' Phil Lowe!- Thanks, Phil.
PS again. Just say hi, leave your name.
Comments
Vessel Name: BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)
Vessel Make/Model: Lidgard 49' steel ketch
Hailing Port: Hobart
Crew: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
About:
We have completed our trans-Pacific voyage - from Panama to Hobart via Ecuador, Mexico, French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and Bundaberg, and are now pausing before resuming land life. [...]
Extra:
When the port authorities here were approached to renew our Panamanian boat registration, they said "You can't call your boat Aura - that's taken" so we decided to call her Bluebottle! If you know the Goons, you know of Bluebottle, that little twit! He was always getting into trouble with his thin [...]

BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)

Who: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
Port: Hobart