S/V Bluebottle

22 March 2018 | Barrenjoey head, Pittwater NSW
12 March 2018
15 January 2018
15 January 2018
17 May 2017 | Hobart, Tasmania
07 April 2016
17 March 2015 | Hobart
16 September 2013 | Kings Pier Marina, Hobart
25 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
06 December 2012
11 September 2012

REPORT - DAY FOUR

20 April 2010 | Underway from Mexico to Marquesas
Joe
IT HAS BEEN A QUIET DAY.

Flat calm, and the wind generated by our passing is all we have, or maybe a few knots from ahead. Engine throbbing, chugging, viiibrating. (Not a misspelling, I need more words and don't have a thesaurus!) Thooousands of square miles of calm.

I took a nice hot shower today! Had a cold beer with lunch! In French Polynesia beer (all alcohol) is very expensive, so we stocked up; we are carrying lots of beer, rum, tequila and wine, not just for us but hoping to trade for fruit and veg in the islands.

Last night we stopped the engine to cut the noise so I could check in on the radio - to the Pacific Seafarer's Net, (oh, and don't forget you can go on to www.pacsea.org and see our position reported daily, and, by downloading Google Earth on to your computer these coordinates can show you our track!) --- anyway, when we went to put the engine in forward gear, nothing happened! To get us going I just pushed the lever on the gearbox by hand. Today I disconnected the old forward-reverse cable and found it was partially destroyed where it had been touching the bare exhaust pipe. I'd bought a replacement while in Panama, so I got it out and fitted it (all this time stopped and rolling on a calm glassy sea)- and while I was at it, I wrapped some fibreglass cloth around the bare steel part where the cable got burned.

Long story - hope you're not bored already - consequently the need to take a shower! Those nasty itchy little bits if glass in your skin! And we had topped up the water tank with the watermaker 2 days in a row, so there's enough water to take a shower. Engine has been going 36 hrs at this point - motoring through hundreds of miles of NO Wind. So HOT water too!!

The nights are quiet. As to ships - I have been tracking one for an hour - he's closing with us - can just see him, like a faint star, 10 miles off, see him on the radar too. But last night - nothing.

Still using the engine - may have to burn fuel for 500 miles! We have to get out to the NE trades!

Reading New York Times bestsellers, and Dick Francis, Nora Roberts. Tracking West.

Sun rising behind me now, on Day Five.
Comments
Vessel Name: BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)
Vessel Make/Model: Lidgard 49' steel ketch
Hailing Port: Hobart
Crew: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
About:
We have completed our trans-Pacific voyage - from Panama to Hobart via Ecuador, Mexico, French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and Bundaberg, and are now pausing before resuming land life. [...]
Extra:
When the port authorities here were approached to renew our Panamanian boat registration, they said "You can't call your boat Aura - that's taken" so we decided to call her Bluebottle! If you know the Goons, you know of Bluebottle, that little twit! He was always getting into trouble with his thin [...]

BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)

Who: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
Port: Hobart