S/V Bluebottle

22 March 2018 | Barrenjoey head, Pittwater NSW
12 March 2018
15 January 2018
15 January 2018
17 May 2017 | Hobart, Tasmania
07 April 2016
17 March 2015 | Hobart
16 September 2013 | Kings Pier Marina, Hobart
25 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
06 December 2012
11 September 2012

REPORT - DAY 13 - cruise ship or moon

29 April 2010 | Underway from Mexico to Marquesas
Joe
Day 13 Wed 28 April

Sometimes I write to you as it is happening, sometimes after the event. Or both. Day 13 is behind us, like the swirling miles left in the wake, like all things that are past, and gone. What memories of it do I retain?

Fast! We were moving fast. On the port tack, heading just west of south, bustling along, fussing with self importance our bow wave was, saying: here we come, sssstand aside please! The sound of it at speed is like a wave breaking on a beach, or like the roar of the crowd from a stadium half a mile away ("The crowd goes wild!").A Beautiful sunrise, and later the sun shone warmly, before it clouded over dropping the watts inputting the batteries from the solar panels. As fast as 7 ½ knots we went, quite often. At 7.9 knots I call out to the boat "you can DO it, Richard!" (a line from Mel Brooks' comedy movie high Anxiety)craving that extra one-tenth of a knot! I want 8.(At the time of writing this, I got it!)

Cutting a zigzag track downwind, we now gybe the boat once more onto the starboard tack, planning to go all day and all night on this westerly course. Keeping within a corridor 50 miles either side of the rhumb line (course to waypoint), and also avoiding a hazard - a 200 yard long piece of 2" thick rope reported floating at a position touching our corridor.

So all day the boat steers herself, her motion (if you can imagine!) like being on a train with soft rubbery springs - swaying, leaping, ceaseless. Sometimes we catch up on sleep, sometimes read, or discuss whether it is time for lunch yet, or report our position or chat on the SSB radio, keep a look out, talk, plot our position on the chart, write emails, send and receive emails, receive weather forecasts, sleep, read, and so on. I finished Johnny Cash The Autobiography, enjoyed it very much; I was tearily moved at times, he tells a good story.

And, at evening time, a moonrise that fooled Adrienne; she goes up the companionway, looks out, and cries "OOH!! -A CRUISE SHIP!!" It was actually the moon rising, made to look rectangular by being sandwiched between the horizon and low cloud. I could see it that way too.

No flying fish on deck this morning, after 10 of them were discovered on deck the day before. They must have found out what was causing it!

Stay safe. Stay happy!

PS By the way, neither of us gets seasick. Very grateful for that, I am. It wasn't always that way, at least for me.
Comments
Vessel Name: BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)
Vessel Make/Model: Lidgard 49' steel ketch
Hailing Port: Hobart
Crew: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
About:
We have completed our trans-Pacific voyage - from Panama to Hobart via Ecuador, Mexico, French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and Bundaberg, and are now pausing before resuming land life. [...]
Extra:
When the port authorities here were approached to renew our Panamanian boat registration, they said "You can't call your boat Aura - that's taken" so we decided to call her Bluebottle! If you know the Goons, you know of Bluebottle, that little twit! He was always getting into trouble with his thin [...]

BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)

Who: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
Port: Hobart