S/V Bluebottle

22 March 2018 | Barrenjoey head, Pittwater NSW
12 March 2018
15 January 2018
15 January 2018
17 May 2017 | Hobart, Tasmania
07 April 2016
17 March 2015 | Hobart
16 September 2013 | Kings Pier Marina, Hobart
25 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
06 December 2012
11 September 2012

Underway for Vava'u, day one

20 August 2010 | Bora Bora
Joe
The picture on the computer's desktop is of a beautiful blue/turquoise lagoon, a sailing boat at anchor, a palm-thickened little island - and beyond, the thin white line of the surf on the reef, and the big blue Pacific. (I took the photo at Bora Bora, while I was at the top of the mast.) The photo is a faint trace of what was, for we are now out on that pictured ocean.

The bow wave is a soft roar, as surf from a distance. It is night, second watch. I am in the cockpit with the computer as the Bluebotttle slides along, rolling as she goes, heading downwind in the moonlight, heading for Tonga, 1,350 miles away. We left Bora Bora today, coming out of the pass at 3 in the afternoon, a day or two later than planned, because of repair to the headsail, to the leaky dinghy, and to the engine controls, plus a lot of other jobs like getting water and fuel, moving fuel into the tanks. Doing the washing. What does it matter, a day? When you will be out on the wave tossed seaways for 10 to 14 days?

The boat makes spills of white foam and then slips quickly through them. We are making 5.5 to 6 knots, breeze on the quarter at 15 to 18 knots, heading WSW. Lots of old friends we've made along the way came to say "bye for now, see you down the track somewhere!" - for none of us can bear to think this is the last meeting. But some of us will go no farther west, some heading for Hawaai, or Kiribati.

Kelita came for a uke lesson this morning. She and Rob, of Freedom, are among many dear friends, some of whom are ahead of us, like Claudia and Brian, of Skylight, Kim and Pierre and the boys, of Victoria. Sailing in company with us - a few hours ahead - is 2 Imagine, with Tony and Alex, both Aussies; they have helped us a lot in the last few days.

You will be able to keep track of us, if you want, on the blog and also on The Pacific Seafarers Net online at PacSea.org. I check in there every night.

Headed for Australia (and Tassie) now!
Comments
Vessel Name: BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)
Vessel Make/Model: Lidgard 49' steel ketch
Hailing Port: Hobart
Crew: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
About:
We have completed our trans-Pacific voyage - from Panama to Hobart via Ecuador, Mexico, French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and Bundaberg, and are now pausing before resuming land life. [...]
Extra:
When the port authorities here were approached to renew our Panamanian boat registration, they said "You can't call your boat Aura - that's taken" so we decided to call her Bluebottle! If you know the Goons, you know of Bluebottle, that little twit! He was always getting into trouble with his thin [...]

BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)

Who: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
Port: Hobart