S/V Bluebottle

22 March 2018 | Barrenjoey head, Pittwater NSW
12 March 2018
15 January 2018
15 January 2018
17 May 2017 | Hobart, Tasmania
07 April 2016
17 March 2015 | Hobart
16 September 2013 | Kings Pier Marina, Hobart
25 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
24 May 2013
06 December 2012
11 September 2012

SYDNEY - NEXT PORT

08 December 2010
WE ARE NOW AT SEA. It is 3.00 pm Thursday. Earlier today I typed the bit that now follows, but the internet wasn't there. We are just off the town of Caloundra, and heading east. The computer keyboard has developed a tic of not showing the L - so I resort to copying and pasting an ell every time I need one.

This morning is bright and clear, a beautiful day. We are underway, after a night at the Sandhills, Moreton Island. The Bluebottle unmoored from the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron at about 10 o'clock yesterday morning, and headed for the fuel dock; as we got closer, we saw - like a flock of butterflies - the red, lemon yellow and blue of the sails of a squadron of little sailing dinghies - children, learning to sail! All milling around in front of the fuel dock! First problem.

Tying up, I began by feeding my debit card into the ATM-like machine, and pulled out the long, heavy hose. Fuel flowed and stopped. Phone call - lady comes down from office. Second problem. You have to stuff a bit of wadded paper into the nozzle rest, she says. And it cuts out as you get to $100.00.

Ready to go, after a tearful goodbye to our friends on Victoria, we cast off - only to find a new swatch of baby sailors, shepherded by staff in red rubber dinghies, wearing red shirts. Problem 3!

All clear! I back out, free at last - only to get nearly run down by Problem 4, a varnish-topped flash motor cruiser coming in at high speed to the fuel dock.

Then past all the boats at dock, patiently waiting for their owners to sail them. or repair them, and out - out of the Manly boat harbour, siding between Green Is and St Helena Is (where Napoleon was exiled - true!) and on, to anchor near the sandhills, and have a beer or two.

Photos later ...
Comments
Vessel Name: BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)
Vessel Make/Model: Lidgard 49' steel ketch
Hailing Port: Hobart
Crew: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
About:
We have completed our trans-Pacific voyage - from Panama to Hobart via Ecuador, Mexico, French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and Bundaberg, and are now pausing before resuming land life. [...]
Extra:
When the port authorities here were approached to renew our Panamanian boat registration, they said "You can't call your boat Aura - that's taken" so we decided to call her Bluebottle! If you know the Goons, you know of Bluebottle, that little twit! He was always getting into trouble with his thin [...]

BLUEBOTTLE (ex-Aura)

Who: Adrienne Godsmark and Joe Blake
Port: Hobart