ARC+ LEG 2 DAY 6
26 November 2018 | 15:45 037:07
736nm down 1381 to go.
The wind and swell have been gradually decreasing overnight, we put the main back up yesterday afternoon with the two reefs still in it and poled out the genoa on the other side and we have gradually let out more genoa until it is all out. Wind speed has now dropped to 12-15kts and our boat speed accordingly to less than 6kts, so its time to shake out those reefs in the main...not such an easy job when you are going downwind, we will have to gybe the genoa head up to wind a bit and shake out the reefs then gybe the genoa again and pull it back out on the pole.
We might have to drop the genoa to carry our a small repair to the scarificial strip before it gets worse.
Un-eventful night, but good sailing with and average of 7kts plus, no other yachts or shipping in in sight or on the AIS, the echomax active radar is not picking up anything either...that is when you feel alone, but last nights and this mornings SSB radio net was lively with chat with other ARC+ yachts, probably spread over an area of a couple of hundred mile. you don't feel quite so isolated then. There have been a few problems with gear failure on other yachts but all seems to be under control, sailors can get very inventive when they have to.
We shall have to wait and see if our tactic of heading a bit further south pays off or not.
Routine goes on as normal for us 4 hourly wathes during the day and 3 hourly watches overnight form 6pm - 6am \(local time - its darkness all that time much the same as home i suspect). and we keep on sailing 24/7 for the next 10 days or so.
Yacht Cerulean of Penryn Ventis Secundis