Waiting not so patiently
04 July 2013 | River Fal, Cornwall
Nichola/ sunny weather on it's way
So, looking at the weather forcast for the next week you'd be thinking we'd be heading off across Biscay, but unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, we're still in the Fal.
Two weeks ago our Plastimo liferaft decided to self inflate within it's canister on the back deck. As it had only been serviced 2 months ago, we got on to the servicers who arranged to have it sent back to them to be looked at. It seems that a component on the inflation side has failed and we're waiting to find out about whether it's a random failure or a problem with that part. It is an extremely rare occurrence we have been told - just our luck eh!
So we've been pottering along getting a few jobs done that will be useful before we go.
Colin has got the SSB working which we can use, connected to a laptop, to download weather forecasts. We can also post blogs via the radio too which will be handy when on long passages as well as being able to join in with cruiser nets. We've also got an Iridium sat phone, mainly for emergency use, but we'll also be able to use that to get weather forecasts too.
Ventilation fans have been wired in, in anticipation of hotter weather to come, I've been making bug netting to go in the side ports when they're open as well as arranging new insurance cover as our current insurers wanted 3 up for Biscay.
We've been stocking up the boat and sourcing even more spares and servicing parts. We're waiting on a spare part for the Hydrovane that got damaged when we tried to launch the dinghy whenwe got caught in the pot line off Selsey Bill.
And more than anything we're trying to be very patient whilst waiting for our liferaft back!