Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Party time in Cedeira

16 August 2013 | Ria de Cedeira, Galicia, Spain
Nichola / warm and sunny
On the beach at Cedeira

Thursday 15th August
I'd read that the Spanish love fireworks even setting them off during the day, so it should have come as no surprise to hear the bang of gunpowder echoing around the bay at 10am this morning as we were having our morning cuppas in bed. We looked out to see smoke on the beach and a puff of smoke in the sky. They must have set off at least 10 (today is a Spanish national holiday for the Assumption of the Virgin) but I can't help thinking it would be better to save them until after dark. We're guessing last night's loud music was also part of the holiday celebrations, it was still going when we went to bed but it didn't keep us awake, sleep starved as we were.

During the evening the wind had increased in the anchorage, gusting up to 36 knots (F8), but no boats dragged so we can say the holding is good.

Cedeira anchorage
Looking out over the anchorage

We headed ashore this afternoon just as the Spanish were all heading off for siesta! The bars were full of the locals enjoying their fiesta day in the sun. We found the tourist office where there was free wifi - it was closed but the wifi was still on so we sat outside and caught up on our electronic lives. Then a walk along the beach with soft sand, hot under foot in the sun. The fireworks area was here and the amount of explosives they were stuffing in the firing tubes should mean a good display, I just hope they wait till dark to set them off.

Back at the now open tourist office we tried our first Spanish asking if the lady spoke English, she did a little and we got ourselves a map for more exploring (I like maps). Up into the old town with it's narrow streets, just wide enough for a car and tall terraced houses with glassed in balconies. The library is here which also has free wifi.

We headed back ashore later that evening and sat watching the Spanish party in their main square. There was a mariarchi band on the main stage and stacks of plastic chairs for you to take to sit on to watch. Very civilised. Lots of children still out too, it seems very family friendly here. We had our first Spanish beer - we think it was a third of a litre in the glass they served us, about one gulps worth for Colin.

Our first Spanish beer
Colin was a little disappointed that his hand was bigger than the beer glass

We headed back to the boat to watch the impressive fireworks set to music - they even played some 'Jerusalem' to remind us of Blighty's green and pleasant land! The display travelled along the beach front and we had a great view from the anchorage. The fireworks weren't set off until after midnight and having lasted 20 minutes we expected that to be it for the night. Oh no.... a short time later a Queen tribute band started up, very loud. I fell asleep about 2am and it was still going. They sure know how to party late here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: