Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Cedeira to La Coruna, 30nm travelled

20 August 2013 | La Coruna, Galicia, Spain
Nichola / Cloud and mizzle
A Cedeira street decked out for party time

On Saturday night we decided to join in with the celebrations ashore rather than lying awake in bed trying to go to sleep whilst the noise went on and we managed to find a seat with a good view of the stage at one of the many bars surrounding the square. The first band then came on - a rock covers band who rocked! They finished and we wondered who was getting the finale spot.... unfortunately for us it was a Spanish band and despite it now being past midnight the square started filling up with locals. I'm guessing it was a well known band as everyone was singing along except us! They were still going at 2am when we called it a night.

Sunday was cloudy and with slightly woolly heads we headed off to La Coruna. We attempted to sail but close hauled was never going to be very fast for us and with the constant swell it just wasn't fun, so we gave up and motored.

What little wind these was died away completely leaving a calm sea but the swell never went away. I spotted something in the water being extra vigilant after our pot buoy experience off Selsey in May. It was just a plastic pop bottle so thought no more of it until we saw more and realised there wasn't some strange force collecting pop bottles out here but they were being used as pot markers with pieces of string tied around them! Lucky the sea was flat or we never would have spotted them.

Around Cape Prior we experienced some Galician mizzle with clouds lowering over the hills on shore. Visibility stayed ok for us though and the Tower of Hercules was clearly visible. As was a cruise ship leaving port well ahead of us arriving which was our only big ship and entry into the harbour and marina was straight forward. We called up the marina and was answered by someone with what sounded like an Irish accent! Two staff came out to meet us and help us into a huge berth right under the H shaped port control tower. How lovely! And we were right, one of the guys was Irish.

We visited the German family from yacht Charlotte who we chatted with crossing Biscay. Great to put faces to a voice.

As the evening wore on the fog set in, I left Cedeira in sandals and arrived in sailing boots and thick socks (with a brief time in socks and sandals but luckily no one saw me).
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: