Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

A day out to Porto

13 September 2013 | Porto, Portugal
Nichola / hot!
Viewpoint across the city

12th September
We were a bit late getting going on our trip to Porto and with the tram taking an hour from Povoa it was almost midday by the time we were there. Perfect time for coffees and pastries to build ourselves up for sightseeing.

We had a look around the Mercado de Bolhao which had hardly any shoppers in it which was sad because the fresh fruit and veg looked great and was very inexpensive. A huge handful of red chillies for 30 cents! All the stall holders were women, even on the meat and fish stalls.

We wanded around the main sites but for me the best of the city was the view from below the Mosteiro de Sao Bento da Vitoria looking across to the port houses and up to the bridge as shown in the windswept photo of me above).

Lunch was in a backstreet of the Ribeira area to escape the heat. The food was ok but nothing special. Still can't find anything spicy! Then across the lower level of the bridge where some mad people were jumping off into the river. We were now in Vila Nova de Gaia, the home of the port lodges with their names spelled out in big letters across the tops of the lodges.

We'd decided on Taylors for the tour, but it was unfortunately up a big hill and it was blazing hot. Thankfully the €3 tour included 3 tastings, one of which was a cool white port, which we had as a welcome drink. The tour was ok, plenty of information and a walk around the barrels of various vintage wine. Then the last 2 tastings - a Vintage and a 10 classification Tawny. The tawny was lovely. We took our drinks on to the terrace with a great view over Porto.

In Taylor's port lodge
In the Taylors tasting room

We thought we might squeeze in another tasting session and chose Grahams, which turned out to be a rubbish idea as it was a way away up an even bigger hill and was closed when we got there. The signposting was rubbish and we relied on the friendly locals who kept pointing us on in the right direction.We chose a different way back, winding down through narrow paths between houses stacked on the steep hill, the paths a health and safety officers nightmare - paved with cobbles with big holes and random lumps! It was interesting to see another side to the city.

By this point we thought just drinking port would be best and chose a bar next to the Sandeman lodge. A couple more ports, a few snacks and watching the sun set rounded off the day nicely. Only slightly let down by having to wait nearly 30 minutes for our tram back.

Looking back to port district
Looking back to port district on our way home

Lovely city, we'll might go back for another visit whilst we're in Povoa. Although it's probably a good job we aren't wintering here as our livers might not withstand all the port drinking!

(photos of us especially for the Valletteers - hope you and all the creatures are well)
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: