Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Leaving Las Lagos

03 April 2014 | Lagos, Portugal
Nichola / a bit mixed but improving
Some photos of Lagos

So tomorrow, all being well, touch wood, etc. (trying not to jinx anything) we'll be heading out of the marina for a quick hop to Portimao to anchor for the night before heading on to Culatra the next day.

It's been a fantastic winter here in Lagos which surpassed my expectations. Much of this has been down to the people in the marina and we've made some great new friends, many of whom we'll be seeing again as we head into the Med. The morning Walkie-Talkies and Yoga Babes helped keep me fit and everyone has been very generous in providing advice and assistance when we've needed it.

cat hotel
The cat hotel provided by an animal charity and some of its residents

The Navigators group at the marina do a great job of organizing activities and a huge thank you to them especially for all the walks, suppers, help and information they have provided.

The marina is well located for shopping with a Pingo supermarket only 5 minutes away plus a Lidl, Aldi, Continente and Intermarche only a little further. There are many service providers close by for repairs and materials including sailmaker, foam and upholstery and numerous bits and bobs shops. Then there is the farmers market on Saturdays which was a great adventure discovering new fruit and veg and trying out our Portuguese.

Travel connections are good with the train station right behind the marina and buses to surrounding towns and villages. There might not be so many services a day as we'd have liked at times but it just needed a bit of preplanning and we got around fine.

the big swinging ball
They like to decorate the roundabouts here. This is our favourite - the swinging ball!

Plus the town is pleasant with beautiful beaches, plenty of bars and restaurants; ok it can be a bit British at times but there are plenty of Portuguese people especially with us having been here outside of the main tourist season. I'm not sure it would be so nice when it is rammed with visitors in the summer.

I can see why so many people return here each year, the only negative for us has been the marina fees, a bit eyewatering but it's been well worth it.

We're a little sad to leave (which is party why we have lingered longer than planned) but we have new adventures to experience and we will see many of our new friends again - lots of them will be wintering with us in Ragusa.

So farewell Lagos, it's been brilliannnnnnnnnnnnnnt!

Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: