Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Easter Portuguese style

22 April 2014 | Alcoutim, Portugal
Nichola / dry and warm
Easter Portuguese style involved a fair of cakes and sweet treats along with a live band - the fair of Grandma's sweet things. The local schools had made Easter trees decorated with eggs, bunnies and chicks. I thought this bubble wrap chicken as fantastic, the rest of the 'tree' was made from toilet roll middles with chicks made out of egg boxes. Very Blue Peter!

bubble wrap chic
Bubble wrap chicken

In the afternoon a group of dancers came along for some country dancing with comedy thrown in. Some of the men staggered around pretending to be drunk, fighting each and being randy. The women dancers did not look amused! It was quite funny and more entertaining than Morris dancing.

dancers
Easter dancing

We have been anchored up the Guadiana for a few days now. Rather than being the back of beyond place we expected, the villages have plenty going on. Today we stocked up on veg from the market, there is also a basic grocery store, cash machines, electrical shops, bakery, library (with free internet), bars and restaurants. There is a castle to visit on the Portuguese side (the Spanish castle is closed) and a river beach with real sand. A well marked path runs along the Spanish side of the river and there is also a zip wire thats runs from Spain to Portugal. We had a look down the wire from the top and I decided it wasn't for me.

Alcoutim
Looking across to Alcoutim from Spain

There are around 30+ boats here, a few on the pontoons at each village and others anchored upstream and downstream of the villages. The holding between the villages isn't so good as the bottom is rocky; we are down stream anchored in mud. We've had a free a few bamboo canes and various other debris stuck around the anchor chain and caught up on the dinghy. The canes float up and down the river with the tide, some of them forming together to make rafts.

On Friday this massive trip boat arrived at the village! Must have been a tight turn to get turned around.
big ship
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: