Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Our favourite cala (so far)

06 July 2014 | Cala Magraner, Mallorca
Nichola / fine and warm, southerly wind
Cala Magraner

Porto Colom to Cala Magraner via Cala Esmerelda; 11nm travelled

Saturday 5th July
After a couple of days boat bound by strong winds from almost every direction in Porto Colom we headed off Saturday morning to visit Emerald's namesake cala - Esmerelda - a few miles south. There were no other boats in it but unfortunately it was just a bit too narrow for comfort so after some photos we headed north to Cala Magraner.

Cala Esmerelda

Emerald in Cala Esmerelda

In Porto Colom this boat dragged several times so we were a bit worried when they reanchored upwind of us. Although they started over 50m away, sure enough they dragged again until they were here. Most of the crew were ashore leaving 2 onboard to sort it out. They were aware they were dragging but a little bit more promptness in moving would have made us happier.

very close
Don't want to be squashed by a superyacht

Cala Magraner is my favourite anchorage of this year so far. Not crowded (only 3 yachts overnight), sand for good holding and the thing for me is that there is no building development and no facilities which I guess keeps many away. The beach is stoney with a few patches of sand and the nearest road access is 15 minutes walk away which must also keep the visitor numbers down. The cliffs of the cala are popular for climbing and the glass bottomed tourist boat visited but had to anchor in the entrance so didn't cause any annoyance. We gave a group of Spanish men on the beach a good laugh as they thought it good that Colin had me rowing the dinghy.

tracks inland
Tracks inland

It's a little windy in the afternoons but it seems that is the way of the weather here. The cala sides provided good shelter from the southerly winds and in the evening the winds dropped off and then came gently down the cala from the land. It wouldn't be good here in easterly winds.

By evening all the motor boats left leaving just us, Pimentao and what we think is a Wharram catermeran that we saw in Porto Colom. The Spanish family was still on the beach (not sure if they slept there as they were still there early this morning). The goats arrived to make their precarious way along the cliffs, leaping down what looked like steep drops and making it all look very easy. We had hoped to watch the Holland v Costa Rica game on Spanish tv as they has shown the earlier quarter final. Pimentao came over and we switched on.... to find that instead of football it was a two and a half hour interview with Conchita who won Eurovision. Two and a half hours of it!!! Colin managed to find some English commentary on the World Service via the SSB, a bit crackly which added some atmosphere. Listening to a penalty shootout by radio was quite fraut. Hup Holland!

goats
Rock hopping goats with velcro for hooves

Here I have attempted to use the tune of 'my favourite things' to show how much I like it here.... Well the words almost fit to the tune (in my head anyway) ;-)

Time weathered cliffs topped with grass and green bushes,
Tracks that lead inland for walks and exploring,
Wild birds that swoop
And cicadas humming,
These are a few of my favourite things!

Swimming in waters of turquoise and aqua,
Spacious and roomy with good sandy holding,
Wild goats that prance on the cliffs when it's dusk,
These are a few of my favourite things!

I won't give up the day job ;-)
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: