Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Isola di Sant Pietro to Porto Malfatano; 32nm travelled (29nm sailed)

23 August 2014 | Porto Malfatano, Sardinia
Nichola / a few spots of rain
22nd August
The photo shows all the coves around Porto Malfatano on the south of Sardinia. There seem to be plenty of options to suit most wind directions. Despite what the pilot book said, we've found the holding to be very good in sand where we are to the east of Isola Terreda. There are some rocky reef areas but they're so easy to see in the clear turquoise water. In the night we had some katabatic winds down off the hill in front of us but we held good.

We had a good sail here setting off on Thursday with a northerly F5 and just the genny. The wind died to nothing when we reached the bottom of Isola di Sant Antioco so we motored for 20 minutes south where the sea was a bit white horsey and we found some wind again. From there we had a gentle westerly for a couple of hours before rounding Capo Teulada where the wind decided to get feisty with a north F6 although it had dropped off by the time we anchored.

water
Lovely clear water

It hasn't been crowded here which we're surprised at it being close to Cagliari and being a weekend (as well as wondering if everyone else knows something we don't). It's almost the end of the holiday season which hasn't been as crowded as we'd worried it would be, but then we have chosen bigger anchorages and avoided the popular spots. Addaia got a bit cosy at times and although boats bobbed close enough to pass drinks then wasn't any coming together as far as we know.

There isn't much in the way of facilities here other than a very crowded beach with a couple of cafe-restaurants. We're about to run out of fresh veggies although we have loads of tinned veg so don't have to worry about scurvy quite yet. Colin will just have to have a splash of lime juice from a bottle in his G&T rather than from a fresh lime!

Saturday 23rd August - I am Spartivento!
Rather than landing on the crowded beach we rowed to the little beach to the east where paths had been made through the spiky bushes up to the road or out along the rocks. The road wasn't too busy for walking along and had a wide verge for most of it, it was certainly busy with people walking that had parked their cars there rather than pay the somewhat pricy parking fees to park behind the beach.

lighthouse
Lighthouse at Capo Spartivento

We did a 9km walk out to the lighthouse at Capo Spartivento with fantastic views in both directions. The sky looked a bit murky out to sea and we had a few spots of rain which were quite refreshing as it was muggy and warm. The majority of the route was on tracks and had plenty of up and down to it; I've been craving a decent walk as the last was two weeks ago in Addaia.

Sticks
A bit Wicker Man

Just as I'm sitting writing this the wind has picked up earlier than forecast from the NW so maybe all the locals saw a more accurate forecast than the ones we look at. I am starting to sound like a stuck record but the weather in the Med really doesn't like to do what the forecasts say it should.

Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: