s/v Eos

Eos (the Greek goddess of the Dawn) is an owner completed one-off Hollmann FD-12. Her hull and deck were purchased in 1990 and she was launched in 2007. A dream a long time in the making!

12 December 2015 | Brunswick Landing Marina
27 April 2014 | Brunswick, GA
28 March 2014 | Rybovich Boatyard, Riviera Beach, Florida
16 March 2014 | Port Canaveral, FL
11 March 2014 | Port Canaveral, FL
21 February 2014 | Tiger Point Bost Yard and Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
03 November 2013 | Brunswick, GA
14 July 2013 | Brunswick, GA
20 April 2013 | Brunswick, GA
07 February 2013 | Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
09 December 2012 | Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
31 July 2012 | Brunswick then Newnan, GA
18 June 2012 | Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
18 June 2012 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
13 June 2012 | 24 43.07'N:76 50.07'W
10 June 2012 | 24 18.19'N:76 32.465'W
07 June 2012 | 24 24.04'N:76 39.235'W
05 June 2012 | 24 43.021'N:76 49.995'W

Off to Maine Instead of Massachusetts

21 September 2010 | Shelburne, NS, Canada
Sylvia - windy, gray and cold
20 September, 2010

As predicted the winds were up and the seas as well. We are far enough up the channel and the wind direction is such that we aren't getting any effects from the seas off shore. But it is very telling that the seas here in the harbor have white caps. So it was a day to wander around the marina, talk to folks and just generally do nothing. Although Bill's do nothing consisted of cleaning and re-oiling our teak decks. I, however, had no problem doing basically nothing but reading or whatever.

21 September, 2010

We continue to wait to see what the weather will do. The wind is still quite strong - a steady 24-25 and there are still white caps in the bay. It was laundry day so off I went to the yacht club with the last of my Canadian money and a good book to read. Joan came up with the necessary things to color her hair. Her hairdresser had given her everything she would need and instructions on mixing so we succeeded in getting her hair colored. I made her mix the color and do the timing. If anything went wrong and it turned orange or some other color or her hair started falling out I didn't want to be responsible. We were laughing and having a good time with it all and it did come out a very nice color.

Then it was off to a local salon for haircuts - Joan, Bill, Pattie from Mirthin and me. Bill went back to the boat and Joan and I wandered around Shelburne some more with Pattie catching up with us for a while at a local bakery/coffee shop.

Louise and Jean-Denis from Nemea, the French Canadian couple from Quebec, invited us over for cocktails. They had seen us in Quebec City where they are from and recognized Eos when they came in to Shelburne just after us. They are very nice couple and their English is quite good and as Jean-Denis said it will continue to get better as they spend the next months in the US.

John and Joan and Bill and I then went to one of local restaurants that comes highly recommended and that John had been to last year when he and a friend were bringing Changing Lanes up to Newfoundland from Annapolis where they had bought her. The meal certainly lived up to expectations and we had a lovely evening with them.

After Joan and I had come back from our walk, we were in the yacht club listening and talking to some of the other cruisers about the weather. It had looked earlier this week as if we would have a weather window Thursday and Friday for us to head over to Provincetown, MA. Well, things have changed and the full 48 hours that we need are no longer forecast. Everyone else is heading to somewhere in Maine - most of them to Rockford. Except for Pattie on Mirthin and Bill and I, everyone else is Canadian and they have to go to a place where they can check in through US Customs.

Bill and I had spent the latter part of the afternoon looking at GRIB files of winds and waves and figuring and figuring. There is no way we can get to Provincetown, MA without having to put up with ugly weather as we start out and when we get there. So we will be the eighth boat in the parade to Maine. Rockland, Maine will see us come sailing in on Friday probably.

Everyone is going to get together Wednesday evening at cocktail hour in the club and talk about the weather and then we will all go off and make our individual decisions on if, when and where we go. It is nice to have others to bounce off of and discuss things with but as John and Joan and Bill and I agree each boat crew has to take all the input and opinions and possibilities in and then make the decision for themselves.

I have posted pictures of Halifax, Lunenburg and Shelburne.
Comments
Vessel Name: Eos
Vessel Make/Model: Eva Hollman FD-12 one-off
Hailing Port: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA
Crew: Sylvia and Bill Mueller
About:
Bill is a retired but hopefully will be again a fine artist who quit painting in 1991 to spend full-time finishing the hull and deck we had purchased. Now 18 years later he is ready to be co-captain as we we sail out the Great Lakes to become full-time cruisers. [...]

Chasing the Dream

Who: Sylvia and Bill Mueller
Port: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA