s/v Eos

Eos (the Greek goddess of the Dawn) is an owner completed one-off Hollmann FD-12. Her hull and deck were purchased in 1990 and she was launched in 2007. A dream a long time in the making!

12 December 2015 | Brunswick Landing Marina
27 April 2014 | Brunswick, GA
28 March 2014 | Rybovich Boatyard, Riviera Beach, Florida
16 March 2014 | Port Canaveral, FL
11 March 2014 | Port Canaveral, FL
21 February 2014 | Tiger Point Bost Yard and Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
03 November 2013 | Brunswick, GA
14 July 2013 | Brunswick, GA
20 April 2013 | Brunswick, GA
07 February 2013 | Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
09 December 2012 | Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
31 July 2012 | Brunswick then Newnan, GA
18 June 2012 | Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
18 June 2012 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
13 June 2012 | 24 43.07'N:76 50.07'W
10 June 2012 | 24 18.19'N:76 32.465'W
07 June 2012 | 24 24.04'N:76 39.235'W
05 June 2012 | 24 43.021'N:76 49.995'W

Legally Here Now

28 September 2010 | Plymouth, MA
Sylvia - cloudy and windy
We had thought last night that because of the small boat wind advisory that had been put out for Cape Cod we might just stay in Provincetown until we could easily get across the bay. But we woke up at 0600 and the skies and winds were good. We knew it would only take us about 3-4 hours to get to Plymouth so we decided to go for it.

We were up and gone by 0630 deciding it was better to get going and have breakfast along the way. We got a favorable tide leaving Provincetown and then a following sea as we came across the bay. The winds were about 15 knots - great sailing winds but I was so tired I asked Bill if we couldn't just motor for those 3 hours and not have to mess with the sails. I do love to sail and you can probably figure out how tired I was by my description - messing with the sails. Bill, bless his heart, said okay and we motored across at a brisk 7+ knots. The wind continued to build and by the time we were in Plymouth harbor they were a steady 22-25 knots.

We had called the day before and were told we could get into the Brewer marina but when I called back today that wasn't the case. I also couldn't get a hold of the harbor master to see about the public wharf. We were in contact back and forth with Officer McQuade in New Bedford and he finally told us to anchor and he would try to get in touch with the harbor master who had been very good all year about getting him out to anchored boats.

We continued in and got a call from Officer McQuade who had finally connected with the harbor master. I called him and he said there was a mooring we could go to and told us where it was. As we got closer, a service boat from the harbor came out and we were lead to a mooring in the inner harbor rather than the one outside that they had originally told us about.

I think they reconsidered as they looked at the winds building and gusting and were afraid the mooring might not hold us. We were led to a very large mooring ball and we got Eos attached with the help of Richard on the service boat. The buoy is a private one belonging to the whale watching boat which is on the dock right now. The pick-up buoy had to be cut off in order for us to get the big line attached to Eos. Richard made that decision and did it; we wouldn't have done that on our own and we wouldn't have been able to moor with it attached to the line.

Richard then went away and very soon came back with Officer McQuade who checked us in within 15 minutes. He just looked at my passport and checked our cruising decal and I filled out the standard declaration and that was it. He didn't check anything out on the boat like the lock on the overboard head dump but maybe that is the purview of the Coast Guard. Anyway, we are now legally back in the US.

We heard from Officer McQuade that he had checked in Garth and crew from Cyonara. It was somewhere nearby but not at Plymouth. We also got a call from Wayne and Pattie on Mirthin and they are in Yarmouth. The crossing was just going to be too brutal so they went around the corner of Nova Scotia to Yarmouth and will cross from there.

We also got an email from Louise and JD on Nemea and they had been in touch with all of the boats going to Rockland, ME who we started out with. So most everyone is accounted for and on this side now.

With the weather the way it is we have decided to stay here for the night. It is threatening rain and we are still very tired. Hopefully, tomorrow will be good weather so we can go ashore and see some of Plymouth and then head back to Provincetown in the afternoon. The weather is supposed to be ugly for the next several days after that so we want to be in Provincetown then.
Vessel Name: Eos
Vessel Make/Model: Eva Hollman FD-12 one-off
Hailing Port: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA
Crew: Sylvia and Bill Mueller
Bill is a retired but hopefully will be again a fine artist who quit painting in 1991 to spend full-time finishing the hull and deck we had purchased. Now 18 years later he is ready to be co-captain as we we sail out the Great Lakes to become full-time cruisers. [...]

Chasing the Dream

Who: Sylvia and Bill Mueller
Port: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA