Restless Goes Sailing

6 sleeps to go - and planting trees

We are in the last week of preparation, leaving next Sunday. The ARC organises a trip to plant trees as part of a reforestation project so we did that yesterday. I think the idea is to offset the carbon footprint for those flying in. Quite a few yachts are delivered by crew and then owners fly out. It was a great trip, really informative andt took place on a working farm. The ground was all ready and Canarian potatoes were going in. We also saw the native cows of the Canaries, which are totally massive. Bigger than Simmental's even, all lovely gentle brown colours and glossy. It was really fun doing the planting. We planted five trees from two native species each getting four buckets of water to start it off. I will try to post a picture of Tim planting and watering. Thanks for that great advice Robert. Tim's safety tether is fine in length. I seem to be a bit close to the ground for mine, so the bit of rope idea is great. Staying on the boat has got to be the plan. Tim was somewhat startled by the idea of collecting rainwater to wash. I don't think it was the rainwater part, rather the notion that he would be expected to throw a bit of soap about. However, with a four/five week crossing, that is non-negotiable. People around the pontoons today asking to crew on passages across. I politely explain that we are two people with a particular "dynamic" and don't need crew, [translates as married and can be shouty]. I thanked them and they quickly headed off seeking less complicated options. We have met a few two handed crews who normally sail two handed but are taking a third person along in case one of them gets injured. As with falling off, we will just have to try and avoid injury and hope for the best. Three seminars today and then tomorrow a half day "two handed" workshop, and two seminars later on. Tim still studying astro nav. All provisions apart from fresh food now on board. The boat is sitting lower in the water due to the quantity of beers and pigs cheeks we bought. We'll soon eat the good stuff and be left with the savoury rice as per usual. At least we didn't buy tinned powdered custard which normally accompanies us up the West coast and then lives in the cupboard untouched each year. We have our Christmas cake [baked two years ago] on board, I am too frightened to take a peek and see how it is faring. Could be good, could be mouldy. Time will tell.

Comments