Restless Goes Sailing

Tourists and then our first night sail post crossing

To be honest St Vincent gets poor write ups in the yachting pilots, but we were keen to go as there is a volcano walk that sounded epic. We hopped on the bus to Georgetown, halfway up the east coast. From there it was a few miles to the start of the walk. Buses!!! This one had seats for 12 including the driver, plus two jockey seats near the door giving a max capacity of 14. Friends, at one point we were 20 on board plus a dog. The dog helpfully travelled in a cardboard box on its owners knees. (Deerhounds of the future pay heed you do not need half an estate car to travel). When the bus got full they grade the passengers by width, moving them about to squash up efficiently. After that new arrivals just sit on random knees. Thank Crunchie we were not close to the doors. The drive was hair raising. Overtaking is obligatory, as is not having a view of the road ahead. The bus does some kind of community service, picking up fruit and bread and dropping it off. By around 11 the bus stopped for driver and conductor to have a beer. I think the driver had an AF beer, phew relief. He also had the only seatbelt. Eventually we got to the bus station. We were in a run down housing estate. We got out and gazed around. By now we were late for the volcano, and in a strange part of town, and with low cloud. Does Georgetown have a centre, I don’t know. We hopped back on the bus and went back and up the west coast to the capital Kingstown. Again, a bit unexpected. Hundreds of street vendors selling everything, glasses, clothes, fruit and veggies. Shops too but the street vendors dominate. We found the fish vendors and bought some yellow fin tuna which turned out to be really good. When we bought them the fish were in big boxes with solid ice. Most people selected a whole fish. We wanted a couple of steaks. The odd thing (to us) was that he just gutted the fish in the street. We were surrounded by entrails. Presumably he cleaned up later, but ugh. Anyway, the fun part. It is about 40 miles from St Vincent to St Lucia in a straight line, but likely 60 for us tacking into a NE wind. We decided to sail overnight, our first overnight since the Atlantic. Having met yacht Night and Day, which was lovely, we left about 4.30 p.m. what a sail. We were in the lee of St Vincent for a few hours, and then into the Atlantic swell between St V and St L. The wind, tide and waves worked with us I know not why. Restless was flying along, 6 - 7 knots, sometimes more. Fabulous sailing and we hit St Lucia in the dark, but by the time we were close in it was light. Our target was Soufriere under the Pitons two massive Volcanic plugs. I had a slight attack of the vapours as we closed the coast. I am okay at sea but nervy near land/potential danger. Anyway. No worries we got in about 7 a.m. and picked up a mooring. Anchoring all around this coast is banned to protect coral. We went ashore and checked into port health, customs and then immigration. Phew another step North. The Pitons attached, but as ever the photo doesn’t quite capture scale.

Comments