Restless Goes Sailing

St Lucia Port 3 - Rodney Bay

With some reluctance we left beautiful Marigot about 8 a.m, heading the short distance up the coast to Rodney Bay. Very little wind was forecast, but I challenged Tim to guess when we would need the inevitable reef in the main sail. I wasn’t wrong, after a light start we had the inevitable 25-30 knots about 3 miles from Rodney Bay. In error we procrastinated about reefing as we were nearly there. That was a mistake, and once we reefed and then reduced headsail we were much more comfortable and tacked into the bay at 5-6 knots. Rodney Bay itself is a big anchorage but we have come into the marina to get laundry done, fill up water and look at the furling system. As ever marina service was impeccable. You radio in, the dock master gives you a berth number, tells you what side to rig fenders and then meets you to take lines. Restless has a long keel and is tricky to turn tightly, and goes astern at random angles. However, there is tons of space here, both between the different “arms” of pontoon and between individual berths. Lots of ARC boats here, and much cheering of welcome for Restless. After formalities we had a walk around. We found massive supermarkets for a bit of provisioning, bakers etc but before we get round to work we hit the beach and had a lovely swim, before heading back to the boat. Today, we will get some jobs done and make a plan. The ARC January boats arrive at the end of the month. We were going to help as finish line/welcome volunteers but it may be a bit longer than we intend to stay. Decisions/forward planning are required. Monsoon rain first thing but we needed to wash the salt off the boat anyway, so a bonus really.

Comments