Restless Goes Sailing

Out and about round Rodney Bay

It is really nice here. The landscape to the south of the bay is a steep hillside, to the north Pigeon island which is not an island but called that as most people take a boat to it rather than walk around the bay. We walked round. Rodney Bay was held by the British in the 1800’s or a bit earlier. They were constantly at war with the French about islands, and Rodney was a great anchorage for the British navy and handy for storming the French in Martinique. Pigeon island is where Fort Rodney was. It is now a lovely park and national monument. There are the ruined garrisons, officers kitchen, the gunpowder store and four old cannons. A big hike up the highest part takes you to the look out spot where you can see for miles. The Atlantic, the Caribbean and Martinique. No chance of being snuck up on at all (unless maybe they came silently on a dark night without lights and enforcing no-talking rules). We walked back round the beach passing various Sandals and other resorts offering water sports, and we had a swim. Yesterday we took another walk to the peak on the south side. We left early to avoid the heat, but failed. This was a tough climb up through a forest, brimming with butterflies, dragon flies, small lizards, and yes three humming bird sightings. Like Marigot ropes have been rigged to help you climb up. I nearly faltered but mountain goat Wright kept me going, explaining how to stand on my feet, and use “wrinkles” in rocks to avoid slipping. Tim pronounced the Rocky slabs as great for scaling. I was trying to avoid grabbing bugs or getting beasties on me so didn’t perhaps give this valuable guidance my full attention. The views from the top were worth is. Fabulous views in all directions, really epic. I will try and attach one that shows the beach and marina. We are off now to man the ARC boat finish line. First boat arriving 5 p.m. local time. We are doing that for a couple of days, then subject to the arrival of an engine water pump en route from UK we are heading to Martinique. Our experience with couriers has been varied, but we will hope for the best. Getting to know lots of faces from all around the world. Keeping on top of boat jobs, hull polished and I removed a few small rust spots yesterday (from the boat not me). Hope everyone is good, thanks as always for your comments, it is so nice to have you on the journey with us.

Comments