Restless Goes Sailing

Sat phone update 6 Wednesday 4th May

Another lovely day sailing yesterday, but now in a “wind hole” and motoring. Our forecast didn’t arrive yesterday so chasing that just now.
Two weeks at sea today. As regards the total distance we have sailed I can’t tell you at the minute. Our log (little paddle wheel under the boat) isn’t working, so we will need to retrospectively plot to find out how far we sailed. I can report we are 980 miles closer to Horta than when we set out, and 1117 away from Sopers hole where we started. That seems odd but reflects some zigging and zagging. Horta still very far away at 1243 miles to go, and that is in a direct line. It will be great to get to under 1000.
Exciting breaking news. New creatures identified by us. We sailed through rafts of them. Imagine this. Each has a small perfect fan shape on the surface. Sizes were between three and seven inches. The top crescent of the fan is bright luminous pink. The main body of the fan is iridescent, silver, blue, pink and purple, bright and sparkly in the sunshine. The fan sits atop the body, and seems to act like a little sail. The body is black, blue or purple and is like a snail or a slug. There may be more creature below the sea. How amazing... David Attenborough eat your heart out. Hopefully we can name it after Restless or some play on her name. Any clues, let us know. There are actually tiny ones down to an inch, but most are a little bigger.
From your wildlife correspondents in the Atlantic.

Comments