Restless Goes Sailing

Sat phone update 9 Wed 11th May

Our position is 33 43.011N:043 27.400W. We are still dodging the big low pressure system, and heading south to 33 degrees, we will then head east for a day or two and then NW towards Azores. Unfortunately the low pressure system isn’t moving away, it is still there on Monday, but hopefully that might change. Given this is our first west/east crossing we are taking Chris’s advice, but at some point we will need to just plough on into the weather. Morale good. I made flapjacks for elevensies yesterday, as biscuits are getting low. For lunch we had something quite bizarre. Gofio. It is a sort of porridge from the Canaries, favoured by ancient mariners. It is like a brown flour that you add some stock too and get a gooey brown mix. We had it with our last onion (It is traditionally served with raw onion), mojo sauce and corned dog (our preferred description of corned beef). Lots of brown on that plate. Lunch today is leftover gofio, leftover corned dog and crackers, another shades of brown treat. Missing veggies. We actually spent quite a while discussing the joys of salad yesterday..... going stir crazy. We are in fair weather with light airs so we are about to change the 110% headsail for the 140% to get a bit of punch going east through mid sized waves over the next few days. The last days have moved us further from the Azores which hurt a bit. Nature news next. Tim saw a whale whilst I was asleep. Description...grey..didn’t even get a look at the fin, he’ll need to up his observations game. We have had quite a lot of small cheery dolphins jumping and doing tricks, and a few more seabirds. Very little shipping. Maybe one 300m tanker a day. Cannot wait to be going NE whatever the weather, a nice shower and a chilled glass of Chablis or fizzy pop are calling.

Comments