Restless Goes Sailing

Sat phone update 10 Saturday 11th May

Our position Is 32 14N, 38 58W. We came North yesterday and Horta is now 637 miles away. There is a big bad system between us and Horta, and we hope to dodge behind that overnight Sunday and make for Horta. There seem to be more gales expected towards the end of the week but we’ll need to wait and see. The last two days were good fun. We sailed with the 140% Genoa that we have not had on since pre the November crossing. It is a brilliant sail, really powering the boat along. Restless sailed beautifully. However, the trip North is going to be windy, so we changed back to the 110% yesterday. Thank goodness we did. It is a very tough and versatile sail, and rolls away nicely in heavy weather. Last night was tough. We had a well rolled away headsail and fully reefed main until 2 am when I came on watch to relieve Tim. It was blowing old boots, 35+ knots. As we were sailing down wind the main didn’t help so we rounded into the wind to take it down just as a squall came through. Horrible, but we got sorted out. Since 2 am it has blown 30-37 knots gusting to 43 as squalls rolled through. The stuff of nightmares on my watch. An hour ago a big front blew through and conditions are much improved since that passed, but the big sea makes it hellishly rolly. I am braced in a small spot as I type, with a leg wrapped round the companionway steps, whilst I bounce of the pilot berth walls. Not great fun I will concede but got to be good for core fitness. Gripping the iPad tightly as I dare not damage it or we won’t get weather info. Plan today is to head east until around 9 am tomorrow, then go north until about 9 pm Sunday. If things move as planned we will be at the back edge of the system and can sail north east. Thankfully we made bread and topped up the fuel (9 gallons into the main tank) yesterday whilst we had a calm spell. We got an amazing jigger thing for filling fuel. You just put the jigger end of the hose into your can and the other end into the fuel tank. Jig the hose and voila it fills with no spillage or arms out of your sockets holding cans. Today we might test out Hank our newish working gib as an upwind sail. We got it to use as a twin poled out headsail, but with both jobs in mind. Until this rolling stops we won’t do much other than mooch eastwards and hope to use this weather window well. We are doing okay and keen to make landfall. It could be next weekend before we do, please please let us make landfall by then. Will keep you posted. Thanks as always for your encouragement, it has cheered us this last week especially.

Comments