Adventures on Yarramundi

27 October 2012
22 August 2012 | Trinity Inlet, Cairns
17 August 2012 | Cairns Harbour
16 August 2012 | 14 56.8653'S:148 11.3993'E, The Coral Sea
15 August 2012 | 14 14.19156'S:149 5465'E, The Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 13 12.0330'S:150 26.6810'E, Still in PNG Waters, Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 70 miles north east of Australian Waters, Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, The Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea
12 August 2012 | N 'N:E 'E, Solomon Sea
11 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
10 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea - South of Deep Planet
09 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
09 August 2012 | Blanche Bay 4 miles from Rabaul
08 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
07 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
06 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
05 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club

Hooked on Maug and Andrew's slippery surprise

09 April 2012 | Waypoint No. 165
Hooked on Maug and Andrew's slippery surprise

The wind did not let up all day and we think it was plus 30 knots. There were some big waves which came with it but we are really getting used to them. The boat is doing really well and Andrew has become a genius at setting the sails. Whilst the boat is old and little things keep breaking ? like one of the burners on the stove today ? she is much heavier and more solidly built than newer boats. He heavy keel keeps her as steady as we can expect and the strong build is peace of mind when we get slammed by a big thumping wave. Considering the 600 litres of water and fuel we are carrying plus all our other supplies I canft believe how we are just flying along for a little boat. Itfs great.

After passing Farallon de Pajaros we headed for Maug and on the way discovered that passionfruit go well on cookies. Think we are now going to be fighting over them now.

Maug is the caldera of an extinct volcano popping up out of the North Pacific and is comprised of 3 islands. (You can find it on google). It is simply huge! Steve ? the solo circumnavigator we met in Chichijima - spent 2 nights anchored there and spoke of how great the wildlife was. We had intended to take a quick look but on his advice decided to enter the caldera and anchor on East Maug.

After dropping the anchor we realized we were a bit exposed so went to retrieve it to find a more suitable location to spend the evening. The windlass (electric winch which pulls up the anchor) would not budge. We moved the boat a bit to try and break it free and it did. But the windlass still would not pick up the anchor. We were drifting, albeit in a controlled manner with the anchor with what seemed to be something very heavy attached to it. Not wanting to break the windlass we tried pulling it with our hands but no way was that possible. I have picked up the anchor and all its chain off the beaches in Shimoda and whilst it required some strength it was possible. It just confirmed we had picked up something. But out here what? Someone else's anchor and chain, a bomb from WW2? We tried to winch it in with the hand winches taking turns. After about 45 mins we had pulled in about 15 metres and still had another 60 to go. It was now dark and while one of us winched the other k ept the boat as much to the centre of the caldera as possible keeping away from the 3 islands. Concerned that things would simply go from bad to worse with something really big and heavy hanging off our bow and being in the middle of absolutely nowhere to get any help the skipper decided to unceremoniously cut the line. It was gone in a flash. I felt bad and donft know if it is a feeling of stupidity for trying to anchor in the caldera of an extinct volcano, guilt over the cost and also time it will take to get a new anchor in Saipan, or if I had some strange attachment to the old anchor which was used to hold us safe so many times while we slept. Actually the anchor is the cheap part at around a $250. The 30 metres of chain was worth more. There was something not right though and it could have cost a lot more if we had broken the windlass, winch or something else.

We have the original anchor that came with the boat as well as chain and rope so we are still okay if we need to stop and anchor somewhere before Saipan.

I tidied up deck while Andrew motored around in circles and kept us away from the 3 islands. I then went below to prepare a meal before setting off and got Andrew a can of drink in the process. As I was about to hand it to him in the dark he yelled out eyou did not have to throw it so hardf and with that he reached down and screamed like a woman. A flying fish had leapt on deck hitting him in the leg and before he could realize he had picked it up in his hand only to throw it away. It skimmed across the surface as fast as it could. It also stunk. But it was a nice comical break from the tension of trying to resolve the anchor problem.

I cooked spaghetti bolognaise, this time from a can and also made a soya latte to put in the thermos for my watch.

We flew out of the caldera with the wind behind us and have been doing about 6.5 knots SOG (speed over ground) since. Wefre well past the halfway point from Chichijima to Saipan and are now headed for Pagan Island ? ironic the day after Easter. The navigation computer has us arriving there at 5:30pm if we can maintain this speed.

Andrew is sleeping as he is exhausted from doing most of the winching. He wanted to stay in the caldera as the sea was flat there and it would mean we could get a proper sleep. I appreciated his concern and effort in trying to retrieve the anchor. He has been seasick for 3 days and only feels good when he is on deck helming. An electric device I purchased some years ago seems to be working for him now though. It is strapped to the wrist seems and emits an electric pulse every so often. Well if it works it works. The seas are also down to 1 to 2 metres (from 3 ? 4 yesterday) so hopefully that will give him some reprieve.

David PS: No apologies for typos. I am typing on a small laptop in the dark on a very rocky boat. If I type during the day for some reason I start to feel seasick ? think it is the heat and being able to see outside through the port holes that does it. In the dark I canft see through the port holes but can also only barely see the keyboard. And rocking around hanging on at the same time is not at all like being in the office where I am pretty good at typos too
Vessel Name: Yarramundi
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Espace 990 33 feet
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: David Devlin
Extra: Yarramundi now lies in Mooloolaba and is occasionally sailed with my son. I do plan to evenutally get her to Sydney.
Yarramundi's Photos - Main
Andrew and I don’t think he is human – probably some Viking god who has came back to earth for a visit. He setup a vodka distribution business in 22 countries and sold it to Diageo retiring at the age of 32. He spent the following 2 years designing and building his 56 foot $6 million boat and has been sailing it for the last 6 years. He sails alone and has been everywhere – including Antarctica. Neither of us have seen anything like the boat – The interior is like an upmarket modern Scandinavian apartment, it has every convenience imaginable (both domestic and maritime), and the outside with it’s teak and stainless steel looks like it just came out of a show room. We certainly did not see Bart cleaning it so are convinced it has been blessed. Or he has some little helpers stowed away somewhere and they come out at night and clean it. In fact we did not see Bart do anything else accept hang around and be cool until he left. He does not use a motor. Despite being in the corner of the harbour he untied his huge floating bachelor pad himself and used only the wind to turn the corner and sail out. We motored out to wave him off and even at full throttle could not keep up. He is off to Kyushu and then Hokkaido where he plans to stay for about a year skiing and photographing the wildlife. He had a coffee table book on board. It was of his boat and it’s Antarctic adventures. Of course he would. Very cool guy - we were privileged to meet him in Chichijima, have dinner with him a couple of times and tour his boat. David
7 Photos
Created 6 April 2012
42 Photos
Created 5 April 2012
37 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
Yarramundi is now provisioned with 400 litres of water, 350 litres of diesel, 60kgs of rice and pasta, hundreds of cans of soup, spam, sauces etc to make up more than 800 meals. She is leaning a bit to port side so we will have to do some rearrangement of the contents before taking off on Sunday March 25.
1 Photo
Created 21 March 2012
Weather permitting Yarramundi will depart Shimoda, Japan on March 25 for Saipan on her first leg to Sydney. Following that we will sail to Chuuk (Truk) via Guam, then Honiara, Cairns and onto Sydney visiting many of the remote atolls of the Caroline and Solomon Islands.
1 Photo
Created 5 March 2012
10 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
I've been lucky to have my sister Maria and cousins Holly, Adam, Liam and his wife Zoe visit Japan and sail on Yarramundi
6 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
5 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
1 Photo
Created 22 February 2012
Why is it that every winter I've seem have had to dive below the boat to fix or retrieve something?
4 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
Yarramundi has been taken to Seabornia Marina on the west side of the Muira Penninsula for some major work. We made it in record time within one day thanks to the 30knot wind from the north but little thanks to George who fell asleep at the helm.
5 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
A few friends visited Yarramundi on Seijin no Hi (coming of age day) while she was in Tokyo Bay. A brief sail was followed by a turkey lunch.
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2012
People who have helped fit-out and maintain Yarramundi
7 Photos
Created 26 December 2011
From Shimoda to Wakayama and Mie Prefectures - a 12 day trip with 3 other yachts from TSPS.
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2011