Adventures on Yarramundi

27 October 2012
22 August 2012 | Trinity Inlet, Cairns
17 August 2012 | Cairns Harbour
16 August 2012 | 14 56.8653'S:148 11.3993'E, The Coral Sea
15 August 2012 | 14 14.19156'S:149 5465'E, The Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 13 12.0330'S:150 26.6810'E, Still in PNG Waters, Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 70 miles north east of Australian Waters, Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, The Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea
12 August 2012 | N 'N:E 'E, Solomon Sea
11 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
10 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea - South of Deep Planet
09 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
09 August 2012 | Blanche Bay 4 miles from Rabaul
08 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
07 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
06 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
05 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club

Here for a while

16 May 2012 | Faraulep, State of Yap - Federated States of Micronesia
As previously mentioned on Tuesday we entered the atoll of Faraulep and had a problem. I have been working around the clock to both fix the problem and organise the logistics to get parts here.

Unfortunately as we were leaving and navigating through the passage we hit a coral bommie. Nicky who was standing at the bow as lookout could not see it. The depth metre went from a consistent 7 metres to 0 in just seconds. I put the boat into full reverse as the keel hit but it went over and then with hit the bommie with our rudder. The rudder which moved backwards ripped a 20cm gash in the hull just in front of the rudder. Immediately water started to flood in. We knew this because to bilge alarm went off and the automatic bilge started pumping. We turn on another portable bilge I made up ? Thanks Darshaun for that idea ? and started to pump out the water. I then backed through the channel, turned around and headed for a sandy area in the atoll in front of the main island where we could beach the boat if necessary. We inflated our small rubber boat and two kayaks as we made our way back and prepared to put both valuables (passports, cash, etc) and also our heavy fuel into t he small boats to lighten the boat. I also ditched our water to reduce the weight of the boat. After hastily anchoring I uncovered the area which we were leaking from and shoved some t-shirts into it to reduce the flow of water. I then searched for some bond/putty. I gave two sticks to Nicky and he prepared to fill the gap from the inside. I put on the scuba gear and dove below and filled the gap with another stick of bond from the outside below the waterline. After some time we slowed down the flow significantly and caught our breath. When we anchored some of the islanders came out to see us in their canoes. As the head nurse Thomas had been walking around with his keys during the day and we believed for now we were not going to sink we decided to take our valuables back off the inflatable boats and store them once again inside. With all the frantic work ripping up the floor board and ditching things the inside looked like a war zone.

We then spent several hours refining the repair work as well as pumping our water as it came in working on 2 hours shifts throughout the night. On Wednesday morning I found another stick of bond in the tool box and dove below to fill up some of the remaining hair line cracks. For now we have pretty much sealed the leak. We are getting about 1 litre every 2 hours so still have to bail out water every now and then. With a tube of silicon rubber the islanders have offered us I believe we can stop the leak completely today.

Whilst the leak is now under control we still have to prepare the boat to return to Guam for a permanent repair. There is a flight from Guam to Yap on Saturday and another from Yap to Faris. There is a monthly supply boat which visits all the islands in the area and it departs Faris to this island around the time the plane arrives. We are therefore trying to organize for a kit of repairs from a boat shop in Guam to get on the two planes and the ship so we can begin to perform strengthening work. The boat is supposed to arrive Wednesday and with a bit of luck if it all comes together we should be able to set sail Friday or Saturday May 25 or 26.

The repair will require making a type of dry dock on the beach. The torn area is 30cm below the water line. The tide is around 50cm so the plan is to build some supports on either side of the boat over the weekend, drive the up boat on the sand during high tide, allow the tide to drop, ensure the boat does not tip over and then apply the repairs while the damaged portion is above the waterline.

We are still discussing with the boat shop in Guam and also Andrew the most effective and time efficient repairs given we have about a 3 hour tidal window to do them. Therefore I wonft go into them here.

The islanders have been incredibly helpful. I have started to write down peoples names to remember who is who and what they have done for us. When we first arrived they wanted to trade for things but now that we have a problem we are in trouble we are seeing pretty much nothing but generosity. They still want DVDs and coffee though! Some of them have told us they can not sleep thinking about our situation and it is through discussions with them that we came up with all the interconnected links to hopefully get our parts here by Wednesday.

Incidentally we also have someone in Yap who will buy silicon rubber and an FRP repair kit for us today at a local hardware store. He is coming out on the supply boat which leaves tomorrow. In order to track down a hardware store on Yap I called the visitor information centre ? the number which Anne found for me. I heard a strange accent and someone saying he did not know what hardware meant. I then realized it was a Japanese accent, spoke in Japanese and Mr Nakamura then went out of his way to get us various details of the store.

We are both safe and healthy. Though I stubbed my toe last night and have a terrible issue with the skin on my hands as they have been in saltwater and doing hard work for over 48 hours now. Nicky has the same issue on his right foot. But we have an ample supply of food, we still have about 20 bottles of Richardfs wine and some beer, some things to trade ? including our DVDs and electronic device fixing skills for example ? and water. Although we get about 4 squalls a day and are improving our rainwater catching techniques so soon will become water usage neutral. The wind generator is doing its work to pump enough electricity for our lighting and to charge the laptop and satphone. We have about 240 litres of fuel so can run the engine if need be to keep the fridge cool. Even if we run out of food on board there is enough on the island. Last night we were given turtle meat from a huge female turtle which had been caught earlier. We were given some more again this morning alo ng with mackerel, breadfruit and bananas. It looked better last night after I had had a beer. I could not stomach it this morning knowing it, and the yolk of some 200 eggs it was carrying mixed throughout it had been sitting on the beach all night and morning without refrigeration.

I feel very bad for Jon who has just spent thousands of dollars booking his flight to Truk and then from Honiara to Japan so to join me on stage 3. Ifll need to make it up to him somehow.

I am determined to get Yarramundi seaworthy and then onto Guam. From there I donft know yet what we will do. But getting to Guam wonft be at the expense of safety. So we will either get her right or if that turns our not possible come up with some other idea to get us off the island without her. With the supply ship coming through once a month we wonft get stranded here. My big concern right now is that since last night the satphone has started to make a clicking sound. Ifve tried to make sure it stays dry and hope that it is not a sign that it is about to break on us.

That is all for now. We need to get all the various people in Guam, Yap, Faris sorted so we can get our spares on the Ferry arriving Wednesday.

Regards David
Vessel Name: Yarramundi
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Espace 990 33 feet
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: David Devlin
Extra: Yarramundi now lies in Mooloolaba and is occasionally sailed with my son. I do plan to evenutally get her to Sydney.
Yarramundi's Photos - Main
Andrew and I don’t think he is human – probably some Viking god who has came back to earth for a visit. He setup a vodka distribution business in 22 countries and sold it to Diageo retiring at the age of 32. He spent the following 2 years designing and building his 56 foot $6 million boat and has been sailing it for the last 6 years. He sails alone and has been everywhere – including Antarctica. Neither of us have seen anything like the boat – The interior is like an upmarket modern Scandinavian apartment, it has every convenience imaginable (both domestic and maritime), and the outside with it’s teak and stainless steel looks like it just came out of a show room. We certainly did not see Bart cleaning it so are convinced it has been blessed. Or he has some little helpers stowed away somewhere and they come out at night and clean it. In fact we did not see Bart do anything else accept hang around and be cool until he left. He does not use a motor. Despite being in the corner of the harbour he untied his huge floating bachelor pad himself and used only the wind to turn the corner and sail out. We motored out to wave him off and even at full throttle could not keep up. He is off to Kyushu and then Hokkaido where he plans to stay for about a year skiing and photographing the wildlife. He had a coffee table book on board. It was of his boat and it’s Antarctic adventures. Of course he would. Very cool guy - we were privileged to meet him in Chichijima, have dinner with him a couple of times and tour his boat. David
7 Photos
Created 6 April 2012
42 Photos
Created 5 April 2012
37 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
Yarramundi is now provisioned with 400 litres of water, 350 litres of diesel, 60kgs of rice and pasta, hundreds of cans of soup, spam, sauces etc to make up more than 800 meals. She is leaning a bit to port side so we will have to do some rearrangement of the contents before taking off on Sunday March 25.
1 Photo
Created 21 March 2012
Weather permitting Yarramundi will depart Shimoda, Japan on March 25 for Saipan on her first leg to Sydney. Following that we will sail to Chuuk (Truk) via Guam, then Honiara, Cairns and onto Sydney visiting many of the remote atolls of the Caroline and Solomon Islands.
1 Photo
Created 5 March 2012
10 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
I've been lucky to have my sister Maria and cousins Holly, Adam, Liam and his wife Zoe visit Japan and sail on Yarramundi
6 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
5 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
1 Photo
Created 22 February 2012
Why is it that every winter I've seem have had to dive below the boat to fix or retrieve something?
4 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
Yarramundi has been taken to Seabornia Marina on the west side of the Muira Penninsula for some major work. We made it in record time within one day thanks to the 30knot wind from the north but little thanks to George who fell asleep at the helm.
5 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
A few friends visited Yarramundi on Seijin no Hi (coming of age day) while she was in Tokyo Bay. A brief sail was followed by a turkey lunch.
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2012
People who have helped fit-out and maintain Yarramundi
7 Photos
Created 26 December 2011
From Shimoda to Wakayama and Mie Prefectures - a 12 day trip with 3 other yachts from TSPS.
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2011