Adventures on Yarramundi

27 October 2012
22 August 2012 | Trinity Inlet, Cairns
17 August 2012 | Cairns Harbour
16 August 2012 | 14 56.8653'S:148 11.3993'E, The Coral Sea
15 August 2012 | 14 14.19156'S:149 5465'E, The Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 13 12.0330'S:150 26.6810'E, Still in PNG Waters, Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 70 miles north east of Australian Waters, Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, The Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea
12 August 2012 | N 'N:E 'E, Solomon Sea
11 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
10 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea - South of Deep Planet
09 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
09 August 2012 | Blanche Bay 4 miles from Rabaul
08 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
07 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
06 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
05 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club

Things that go bump in the night

08 June 2012 | 155 miles from Yap, Federated States of Micronesia. The Caroline Islands.
We now have 155miles to go - yes! Well over half way!! Arrival is still looking like Sunday late afternoon and no news about if we will be allowed off the boat until inspection Monday morning or if they can do inspection Sunday. I have checked our supplies and aside from that bottle of Corona we still have a couple of bottles of wine and as yet unwatched dvds if that be the case.

We hits some sqalls at midnight just as my 4 hour shift was ending. Given we don't want to be bumped around in our current condition I stayed on the helm. Winds speeds got up to 22knots a few times with lots of rain. I carefully navigated to keep our stern to the weather with the mainsail centred and engine revs way down. As the sea was flat this seemed to be the best option. We just moved gently with the sea for the time. We have had the sea anchor ready to deploy from the bow in a moments notice should the sea state get large enough to require it. Fortunately it has not been necessary yet. Coincidently we had two tankers pass by our stern while this was all happening. No ships all day and then 2 in the middle of a squall. 2 hours or so later the squalls had passed or rained themselves out or do whatever squalls do - there were none to be seen on the radar - so it was time to wake Nicky, put on a fresh set of dry dirty clothes and go to my bunk for 4 or 5 hours.

I was just at the point where I was about to doze off when bang right next to my head, then bang again further away. Two loud thuds resonated through the hull. I know the first one was on the bow and close to my head. I was horrified if the seond one had been the rudder. I sprinted up ondeck grabbing the spot light as I went and managed to catch sight of the culprit. A huge white garbage bag with god knows what inside. Nicky heard it and thought it was not a good noise. I then checked the steering - seemed ok. Ran down below to check the blige and inside the cofferdam I built around the initial tear. No water. Put my hand on varous parts of the hulls and inspected the steering below. All seemed fine. Don't know where the 2nd noise came from but if it did indeed hit the rudder it had no effect. As the debris was fairly bouyant my guess it only hit the hull.

With that I went back to my bunk and slept soundly.

I called a new contact this morning on Yap. His name is Arthor, he is a fisherman and his brother works for Wayne's business. He has negotiated a very reasonable fee with the Yap Fisheries to haul the boat out, keep her in dry dock and put her back in. He is also offerring the use of his power tools. As the head of the Fisheries will be out of town when we arrive we won't be able to pull the boat out until Wednesday. So maybe I'll really get some forced R & R as there is little I can do while the boat is still in the water. Yesterday was the first time in the entire trip I was able to do any reading. It will also give me time to replot a course back to Australia. I had hoped to visit friends in the Solomon Islands but due to our nearly 4 weeks in Faralup, another 2 weeks in Yap and this 800 mile detour I have run out of time.

The photo: We were given Frangipani Marmars (flower headbands) as farewell gifts by the children prior to departure and the photo is of our Marmars being thrown in the sea after we passed the reef as an offering to the local god of Faraleup, Uwappi. We joked with locals who are now all catholic that perhaps Uwappi is just their name for the Holy Spirit. :) They thought that was a convenient excuse to still believe in him. Though Nicky is convinced that Thomas with all his capabilities and benevolance is the reincarnation of Uwappi. I just think it is wonderful as human beings from different backgrounds we can combine our religious heritiges and not get too hung up about it all.

Vessel Name: Yarramundi
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Espace 990 33 feet
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: David Devlin
Extra: Yarramundi now lies in Mooloolaba and is occasionally sailed with my son. I do plan to evenutally get her to Sydney.
Yarramundi's Photos - Main
Andrew and I don’t think he is human – probably some Viking god who has came back to earth for a visit. He setup a vodka distribution business in 22 countries and sold it to Diageo retiring at the age of 32. He spent the following 2 years designing and building his 56 foot $6 million boat and has been sailing it for the last 6 years. He sails alone and has been everywhere – including Antarctica. Neither of us have seen anything like the boat – The interior is like an upmarket modern Scandinavian apartment, it has every convenience imaginable (both domestic and maritime), and the outside with it’s teak and stainless steel looks like it just came out of a show room. We certainly did not see Bart cleaning it so are convinced it has been blessed. Or he has some little helpers stowed away somewhere and they come out at night and clean it. In fact we did not see Bart do anything else accept hang around and be cool until he left. He does not use a motor. Despite being in the corner of the harbour he untied his huge floating bachelor pad himself and used only the wind to turn the corner and sail out. We motored out to wave him off and even at full throttle could not keep up. He is off to Kyushu and then Hokkaido where he plans to stay for about a year skiing and photographing the wildlife. He had a coffee table book on board. It was of his boat and it’s Antarctic adventures. Of course he would. Very cool guy - we were privileged to meet him in Chichijima, have dinner with him a couple of times and tour his boat. David
7 Photos
Created 6 April 2012
42 Photos
Created 5 April 2012
37 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
Yarramundi is now provisioned with 400 litres of water, 350 litres of diesel, 60kgs of rice and pasta, hundreds of cans of soup, spam, sauces etc to make up more than 800 meals. She is leaning a bit to port side so we will have to do some rearrangement of the contents before taking off on Sunday March 25.
1 Photo
Created 21 March 2012
Weather permitting Yarramundi will depart Shimoda, Japan on March 25 for Saipan on her first leg to Sydney. Following that we will sail to Chuuk (Truk) via Guam, then Honiara, Cairns and onto Sydney visiting many of the remote atolls of the Caroline and Solomon Islands.
1 Photo
Created 5 March 2012
10 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
I've been lucky to have my sister Maria and cousins Holly, Adam, Liam and his wife Zoe visit Japan and sail on Yarramundi
6 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
5 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
1 Photo
Created 22 February 2012
Why is it that every winter I've seem have had to dive below the boat to fix or retrieve something?
4 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
Yarramundi has been taken to Seabornia Marina on the west side of the Muira Penninsula for some major work. We made it in record time within one day thanks to the 30knot wind from the north but little thanks to George who fell asleep at the helm.
5 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
A few friends visited Yarramundi on Seijin no Hi (coming of age day) while she was in Tokyo Bay. A brief sail was followed by a turkey lunch.
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2012
People who have helped fit-out and maintain Yarramundi
7 Photos
Created 26 December 2011
From Shimoda to Wakayama and Mie Prefectures - a 12 day trip with 3 other yachts from TSPS.
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2011