Adventures on Yarramundi

27 October 2012
22 August 2012 | Trinity Inlet, Cairns
17 August 2012 | Cairns Harbour
16 August 2012 | 14 56.8653'S:148 11.3993'E, The Coral Sea
15 August 2012 | 14 14.19156'S:149 5465'E, The Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 13 12.0330'S:150 26.6810'E, Still in PNG Waters, Coral Sea
14 August 2012 | 70 miles north east of Australian Waters, Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, The Coral Sea
13 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea
12 August 2012 | N 'N:E 'E, Solomon Sea
11 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
10 August 2012 | N N'N:E E'E, Solomon Sea - South of Deep Planet
09 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
09 August 2012 | Blanche Bay 4 miles from Rabaul
08 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
07 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
06 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club
05 August 2012 | Rabaul Yacht Club

Where the sun is bashful

11 August 2012 | 'N: 'E, Solomon Sea
We have crossed 8 degrees south and now at 8 degrees 12 minutes. This is significant as it means that Rabaul is no longer our port of refuge and we have finally escaped it! Worth a celebration. Gizo is due east of here. With the current and wind as it is now I can sail there without a motor should it fail again. Honiara is only another 50 miles south and will therefore becomes the next port of refuge by this evening. In another 40 hours Port Moresby will be.

Ifve written twice that the sun has come out. Well it comes out in this Solomon Sea and then goes back in. The wind is still around 20 knots and whilst the waves are not big they are nasty steep little 1 metre ones which along with the strong current slow progress and make a very bumpy ride. (ANd making it very hard to type this blog)! My alarm clock went flying across the cabin this morning and now has a souvenir crack in it. Fortunately the Windex fumes are gone from yesterdays incident. Or I have gotten used to them.

To try and improve progress and on account of the lack of sun I removed the bimney (sun shade) yesterday. It was a challenging job while at sea but I think has improved our windage (more streamlined) and that is most important now.

There were no squalls last night which meant I could keep the radar guard zone alarm on all night. (The radar picks up the squalls so i have to turn the alarm off when they are around). This meant that I took longer naps than normal and am feeling pretty good now.

I woke this morning to see a trail of fuel behind the boat and thought for an instant we might be leaking. It did not take long to find that one of the 2nd hand (cooking oil) jerry cans lashed to the deck had cracked. It is now gone. Of the 3 left I used one with good fuel to top up the fuel tank and have left the others. They contain fuel from when we emptied the fuel tank and also some cooking oil. I know it is ok to use but would rather not until I have no choice so have left them for now.

It was an incredibly messy job topping up. I use those red and white plastic siphons used to fill kerosene heaters. The ones I bought in Japan have worn out so picked up 3 ones in PNG. Bloody cheap useless chinese copies that costed twice the price of the ones sold in Max Value Shimoda. One was already punctured when I got it on the boat and the other two leak. When you had pump them more fuel goes squirting out than in. I was therefore left to pouring the fuel in with a funnel. In an open ocean with 20 knots of wind that means you get a lot of fuel everywhere but in the fuel tank. It is too rough meaning too dangerous to swim so I tied myself to the back of the boat and poured buckets of water over me and the cockpit to try and wash off all the diesel.

The main entrance to the coral sea is called the Jomard Entrance and it goes through the Louisiade Archipelago. It is 177 n.miles from present position and only 4 n.miles wide with an island/lighthouse in the middle. Almost all of traffic going between Australia and Asia goes through it I am told. Prior to that are the Bonvoulor Islands, Egum Atoll and the Marshal Bennett Islands all spread out over 140 n.miles. This all starts 37 miles from where I am now so today is all about getting lots of rest so I can remain vigilant for those 140 miles or reefs, passages, currents and ships.

Back to bed.

Vessel Name: Yarramundi
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Espace 990 33 feet
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: David Devlin
Extra: Yarramundi now lies in Mooloolaba and is occasionally sailed with my son. I do plan to evenutally get her to Sydney.
Yarramundi's Photos - Main
Andrew and I don’t think he is human – probably some Viking god who has came back to earth for a visit. He setup a vodka distribution business in 22 countries and sold it to Diageo retiring at the age of 32. He spent the following 2 years designing and building his 56 foot $6 million boat and has been sailing it for the last 6 years. He sails alone and has been everywhere – including Antarctica. Neither of us have seen anything like the boat – The interior is like an upmarket modern Scandinavian apartment, it has every convenience imaginable (both domestic and maritime), and the outside with it’s teak and stainless steel looks like it just came out of a show room. We certainly did not see Bart cleaning it so are convinced it has been blessed. Or he has some little helpers stowed away somewhere and they come out at night and clean it. In fact we did not see Bart do anything else accept hang around and be cool until he left. He does not use a motor. Despite being in the corner of the harbour he untied his huge floating bachelor pad himself and used only the wind to turn the corner and sail out. We motored out to wave him off and even at full throttle could not keep up. He is off to Kyushu and then Hokkaido where he plans to stay for about a year skiing and photographing the wildlife. He had a coffee table book on board. It was of his boat and it’s Antarctic adventures. Of course he would. Very cool guy - we were privileged to meet him in Chichijima, have dinner with him a couple of times and tour his boat. David
7 Photos
Created 6 April 2012
42 Photos
Created 5 April 2012
37 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
Yarramundi is now provisioned with 400 litres of water, 350 litres of diesel, 60kgs of rice and pasta, hundreds of cans of soup, spam, sauces etc to make up more than 800 meals. She is leaning a bit to port side so we will have to do some rearrangement of the contents before taking off on Sunday March 25.
1 Photo
Created 21 March 2012
Weather permitting Yarramundi will depart Shimoda, Japan on March 25 for Saipan on her first leg to Sydney. Following that we will sail to Chuuk (Truk) via Guam, then Honiara, Cairns and onto Sydney visiting many of the remote atolls of the Caroline and Solomon Islands.
1 Photo
Created 5 March 2012
10 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
I've been lucky to have my sister Maria and cousins Holly, Adam, Liam and his wife Zoe visit Japan and sail on Yarramundi
6 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
5 Photos
Created 24 February 2012
1 Photo
Created 22 February 2012
Why is it that every winter I've seem have had to dive below the boat to fix or retrieve something?
4 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
Yarramundi has been taken to Seabornia Marina on the west side of the Muira Penninsula for some major work. We made it in record time within one day thanks to the 30knot wind from the north but little thanks to George who fell asleep at the helm.
5 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
A few friends visited Yarramundi on Seijin no Hi (coming of age day) while she was in Tokyo Bay. A brief sail was followed by a turkey lunch.
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2012
People who have helped fit-out and maintain Yarramundi
7 Photos
Created 26 December 2011
From Shimoda to Wakayama and Mie Prefectures - a 12 day trip with 3 other yachts from TSPS.
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2011