Sailing with YELO

19 April 2024 | between Cabo and Nuku
16 April 2024 | Cabo San Lucas
15 April 2024 | Los Frailes
14 April 2024 | Bahia los Muertos
10 April 2024 | la Paz
09 April 2024 | la Paz
13 January 2024 | La Paz
10 January 2024 | San Evaristo
07 January 2024 | San Evaristo
04 January 2024 | Punta Salinas, Isla San Jose
02 January 2024 | Punta San Telmo
01 January 2024 | Agua Verde
28 December 2023 | Puerto Balandra
19 December 2023 | San Juanico
17 December 2023 | Punta Chivato
16 December 2023 | Punta Chivato
28 November 2023 | Santa Rosalia
18 August 2023 | San Carlos

Yuupeee my SSB works again.

13 October 2018 | sailing
Rolf
Just recovering from a sore lower back. Pulling up a dinghy on a steep beach is nothing for the elderly. So I had to do �"easier�" jobs on Yelo, like fixing the effing SSB radio. It's a complicated pile of electronics. A Short Wave radio transmitter, a tuner, a pactor modem, a whip antenna and a laptop that controls it all. When you get a problem, it's possible to find out what's wrong if you have a radio workshop with instruments measuring Standing wave ratio, power output etc etc . Off course you can't have all this on a boat, so a simple light bulb had to do it. By eliminating piece by piece, I figured it's the antenna stupid!! And it was!! I just fixed it a few months ago, but this time it was at the bottom�...a small wire that corroded and made intermittent contact. OOOFF , I thought I would have to import a radio into French Polynesia�...a night mare . We are taking advantage of free water at the dock, to do tons of laundry. Holding the dingy in position near the dock is quiet athletic. Daniela jumps ashore and handles the water hose. I sit in the dinghy and fill up the 10 jerry cans. Once they are full, the dinghy is heavy and not easy to maneuver. I only have a split second to come alongside before the next big wave takes me onto the rocks. In this time Daniela has to jump from a slippery dock to somewhere on top of all those containers, without scratching her legs�...it worked this time. Too bad we can't take videos�...got to get one of those Go Pro cameras�...no way more shit on board. We are already suffering from TMS (too much shit) on board. Yelo got heavy, but I am also glad I had EVERTHING to fix the radio!! Its tuff to be without media. No web here, no TV only a faint FM radio station. If you want to get a feel of Polynesia: tune into �"Polynesie Premiere(TEOKONUI)�" I am sure you can get this on the web, so you can see how we suffer!! Its either Jeeeesus or Poly froG Hula�...its pretty bad. I never liked the music here. But this time I really miss the Colombian Vaianato or Salsa. The anchorage is very roly. We haven't had a quiet day. When you do something, you have to hold on. I guess that s why not many yachts stay for a long time. Nuku Hiva and Oa Pou are supposed to be better. The Tuomotus with their circular shape are mostly flat inside. The baguettes are ok and so is the chicken�...yuppie we got spaghetti and beef and chickaaan. I am happy Daniela went diving and found out that those zebra mussels dont want to leave Yelos underwater coat. You could make a meal with them. We also have a ONE FOOT brown mark on the waterline. Some Galapagos plankton specie that dug into Yelos gel coat and doesn't want to get off. Maybe a few more days on warm water might kill it, i hope. Plenty of plankton here. There is a giant 4 meter Manta Ray gulping up the ocean all around Yelo. I like to watch them gliding thru the water with those two big antennas in front and the long tail...its a pretty BIEST.
Comments
Vessel Name: YELO
Vessel Make/Model: CATANA 431
Hailing Port: LANGKAWI
Crew: ROLF & DANIELA
YELO's Photos - Main
First sunny and hot, then the fog moves in and the boat gets all wet. You feel the light drizzle
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2023