Sailing with YELO

16 April 2024 | Cabo San Lucas
15 April 2024 | Los Frailes
14 April 2024 | Bahia los Muertos
10 April 2024 | la Paz
09 April 2024 | la Paz
13 January 2024 | La Paz
10 January 2024 | San Evaristo
07 January 2024 | San Evaristo
04 January 2024 | Punta Salinas, Isla San Jose
02 January 2024 | Punta San Telmo
01 January 2024 | Agua Verde
28 December 2023 | Puerto Balandra
19 December 2023 | San Juanico
17 December 2023 | Punta Chivato
16 December 2023 | Punta Chivato
28 November 2023 | Santa Rosalia
18 August 2023 | San Carlos
05 July 2023 | La Paz to San Carlos

Polynesian Festival for 3 days in Gambier,

21 April 2019 | Gambier
Rolf
I don't think there is any other country that spends as much as the French do on cultural events. They charter entire planes to bring in the people from the outer islands and even paid to fly in the Polynesians from Easter Island or Rapa Nui as they call it. I got really into it when the Hao girls started shaking their hips. They moved them so fast and most of them where in total sync with the drummers. You try that at home in front of your mirror!! Unfortunately the Rikitea performance was way too long. The locals get excited about the steady drum beat , but most tourists, including myself can't get much out of the Rikitea �"dancing�" and drumming. Compared to the great orchestra and the fabulous dancing from Hoa, they look poor. Whenever I see them moving those hips, I can't help but think of the first missionaries and how they tried in vain to stop these obscene movements!! See Germans behind me shouted at their wives:�"Fee ARR going to Hao!!�" I am going as well. They have a dentist, I hear and at 450 miles it's the closest one from Gambier, unless you want to fly to Tahiti. It was great to be among the local audience, many of which we got to know already. The food was free for everybody and great if you like the rich Polynesian diet. It's a bid sad to see most of the locals going for seconds or thirds. With this heavy diet one plate was enough for both of us. I also saw a lot of officials, from the Polynesians tourist and cultural administration. They get flown in and lodged as well. The highest one, a French Colonel or something was wearing this uniform and that funny hat that looked Louis de Funes. Poor man had to sit thru 3 days of dancing and eating. You could see the boredom on his face as he was checking his Patek Phillip every 5 minutes. The Polynesians love Kings and authority. Many groups played in front of the Officials only. The crowd got to see their back side. In our culture its quiet ok to mention the officials that paid for all this. But here they don't stop: Thank you to the Major, the Government, La France , La Republic, la �...this and la that from every music and dance group. Enough already�...I thought. But they love speeches. Beside the main arena a group of Easter Island stone carvers made one of those Easter Island statues called Moai. Hardly anybody came to the final ceremony when they finished it. Made from a local rock, not as big as in Rapa Nui, but still cool enough and its going to be erected at the town hall. The Chileans certainly have a great smile and it's fun to hear them talk Tahitian with a Spanish accent. It seems that this year has a lot of SE winds and often. I found them to be too strong and to wet for my taste. You can feel the temperature dropping as it brings in the Arctic cool air. But locals tell me that it is unusual to have so many periods of bad weather. Oh well maybe next year is better. We are used to sail in trade winds or monsoon climate. There you know where the wind is coming from. In Gambier it waltzes around the clock. Recently twice 360 in one week. You must change anchorages often. Now that the wind has died, it gets warm quickly and we get a chance to see the outer islands. You can't visit those Motus when the swell is high or when it blows 25 knots steady. Many yachts come and go and we start to feel like �"lifers�" that hang around for more than 3 months. I see sailors that tell me that they have �"seen Gambier�" in 5 days and head for the Tuamotus and Tahiti. Others motor around every day back and forth. One sailor told me he used 200 liters of diesel in one month. These yachts have to wait for the supply ship and get a 200 liter drum or two. You must transfer this in jerry cans and bring them out to your boat and fill it in. There is no gas station here. Some have giant outboard motors, others row their dinghy and sail their yacht. It's just like on land with the sailors: nobody gives a fugg about the environment. It's �"the others�" that pollute the earth. �"Global warming is not my fault�". Many yachts still have generators that need diesel and pollute my earth. There is no need for this, if you adjust your habits. We have tired old solar panels and 2 wind generators and that's enough to make water and run the washing machine, fridge etc. You can walk or bicycle to all places on Mangareva .Its only 20 kilometers around. But even I had to drive a car for 2 guests I had, because they could not walk or bike those 20 km!! Many tourists rent a car FOR 20 KILOMETERS�....Oh well�... I see the effects of Global warming, but I am always sad when I go to Europe or Canada, that everybody has a bigger car than last time. That nobody uses Solar. Only Danielas parents had the guts to build a new home that uses only its own energy and even sells the rest to the grid when it's very sunny. Nobody else does this. I guess they all just wait until our planet is as fucked as the Easter Islands. They did destroy their own islands and died because they didn't know better. WE KNOW BETTER, but we don't give a fuck if our children can still breathe in the future. This is my Easter bunny message: buy solar panels, drive your bike and use less power. The Easter Islands stone carvers have gone home for Easter to their Easter Island. Now they can live. Tourists come by plane by the thousands and food is flown in from Chile�...it's a horrible eco balance for that island in paradise. But what the hell, it's not MY fault is it? What have YOU done for this EARTH lately? Its Sunday and we sailed to Sailors-Barbeque by Herve and Valerie on Taravai Island. Curious to see who is coming. The majority of yachts are from Switzerland this week. 5 of them and all are �"Suisse Toto�" (Swiss-German)!! And not small yachts either! They must all be millionaires with Swiss bank accounts. I haven't seen any Quebecers yet and the French have all left for Hao.
Comments
Vessel Name: YELO
Vessel Make/Model: CATANA 431
Hailing Port: LANGKAWI
Crew: ROLF & DANIELA
YELO's Photos - Main
First sunny and hot, then the fog moves in and the boat gets all wet. You feel the light drizzle
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2023