Sailing with YELO

19 April 2024 | between Cabo and Nuku
16 April 2024 | Cabo San Lucas
15 April 2024 | Los Frailes
14 April 2024 | Bahia los Muertos
10 April 2024 | la Paz
09 April 2024 | la Paz
13 January 2024 | La Paz
10 January 2024 | San Evaristo
07 January 2024 | San Evaristo
04 January 2024 | Punta Salinas, Isla San Jose
02 January 2024 | Punta San Telmo
01 January 2024 | Agua Verde
28 December 2023 | Puerto Balandra
19 December 2023 | San Juanico
17 December 2023 | Punta Chivato
16 December 2023 | Punta Chivato
28 November 2023 | Santa Rosalia
18 August 2023 | San Carlos

A month in Crescent City

18 January 2023 | Crescent City
Rolf Fischer | One month of rain and storm
Even Biden came to inspect the damages in California. Rads and bridges washed out. Trees uprooted etc.
We hd a 2 day window to sail to Fort Bragg but their guest docks got destroyed and Bodega Bay was to far. So we stayed and had many hours of 55knots and gusts up to 71knots. The wind picks up the satwater and covers you in a mist of salt. You see nothing and you rigg sings and shakes. The dock doesn't move at all. As the only live aboards we heard the Genoa of a small yacht unfurling at 2 am . In 50knots its very noisy and the sail started to rip. Hesitant to step on board with all sheets and sail whipping around violently, I called security. He didn't do ANYTHING so we ignored our fear of American lawyers and wrestled the sail into giant knot. We didn't get hurt and felt good about ourselves....
Back on Yelo I realized that my Chinese charge controller for the windgenerator fried and was stuck in stop mode. Lucky I had a spare and was able the replace it in a rare windless day..
After a full month of stormy weather Marj , a friendly lady from the tourist office came for a welcome visit and invited us for a tour around the area.
The view points are spectacular and the trail among the biggest Redwood trees took your breath away. The biggest one is 2500 years old!!
Fort Dick is has no attraction. Only a small market a post office and I giant prison and a funny name. But the beaches where the Smith river meets the ocean is worth seeing. Giant waves build up there and dozens of seals are laying baking in the sun.
Thanks Marj for a wonderful day. Hopefully the high pressure stays long enough to get further south.
This was new , and not just for us : stuck for a month and 70knots of wind...that's 130kmh. Now we know why:
If we would've made to Fort Bragg, we would have been tied up to their docks that ripped apart.
The Crescent City docks are made to break a Tsunami and the electricity that kept us warm was of excellent quality.
Comments
Vessel Name: YELO
Vessel Make/Model: CATANA 431
Hailing Port: LANGKAWI
Crew: ROLF & DANIELA
YELO's Photos - Main
First sunny and hot, then the fog moves in and the boat gets all wet. You feel the light drizzle
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2023