Dreaming of Cruising

09 November 2009 | Port Kinsale Marina, Kinsale VA
05 November 2009 | Kinsale, VA
30 March 2008 | Red Hook, St. Thomas to Maho Bay, St. John
29 March 2008 | Red Hook, St. Thomas
28 March 2008 | Red Hook, St. Thomas, USVI

Day One, Sailing class,

29 March 2008 | Red Hook, St. Thomas
Saturday. Class did not officially begin until 4pm so we had most of the day to explore. I elected to take the ferry to St. John, while Mary and Larry took the bus downtown. I wandered around Cruz Bay for a while and had lunch at Rhumb Lines Restaurant. The beach by the ferry dock was pretty and that's where the photo was taken.

When class officially began we started out with cruise preparation. We worked out a provisioning plan, including how many nights we planned to eat ashore, and worked out what everyone thought they might want to eat.

We then went on a "treasure hunt" on the boat. Bob gave us a long list of things we needed to find, count and describe, including fire extinguishers, bilge pumps, emergency tiller, fuel and water tanks and capacities, boat measurements and so on. It was an excellent intro to the boat and all the places you can stash stuff.

We talked a bit about the plans and objectives for the week, then headed out to dinner at some place with a lot of blue lights and shark tacos.

Went to bed early to get ready for the first day of sailing tomorrow!
Comments
Vessel Name: Gillyweed
Vessel Make/Model: 22' Westerly Cirrus
Hailing Port: Kinsale, VA
About: Planning to retire in 2014 and move aboard. In the meantime I am starting to learn to sail.
Extra: I recently bought a 22' Westerly Cirrus. Now I just need to get it shipshape and get out there.

Port: Kinsale, VA