Yofy

Sailing in the winds of peace

06 December 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
30 May 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
06 January 2016 | Gulf of Aqaba
24 September 2015 | Gulf of Aqaba
25 March 2015 | Gulf of Aqaba
24 January 2015 | Eilat Marina
28 September 2014 | Eilat marina
30 April 2014 | Bay of Aqaba
29 December 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
12 November 2013 | Bay of Aqaba
24 September 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
11 June 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
27 April 2013 | Gulf of aqaba
07 January 2013 | Gulf of Aqaba
11 October 2012 | Red Sea
09 September 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
28 April 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
13 February 2012 | Gulf of Aqaba
22 December 2011 | Gulf of Aqaba
10 October 2011 | Gulf of Aqaba

And the Heat Goes On….

30 August 2010 | Gulf of Aqaba
Sunny, 40 C , wind NW 15 knots
The sizzling heat that began in June has lingered on for three long months. All through the summer weather reports have declared this to be the hottest year on record. To add to the discomfort we've had humidity which is strange as Eilat normally enjoys a dry desert climate. As each new day dawned sticky with temperatures in the high forties, everybody suffered.

I have never coped well in hot humid environments and this summer took its toll. What started out as a general lack of energy, ended up with a consultation with an alternative doctor. After prescribing herbs and dietary changes, he kindly advised that I stay out of the heat.

A quick look at the weather reports around the Med confirmed our suspicions. It would be better to delay our delivery till temperatures in the region cooled off. Each week we'd check the weather and decide to wait a little longer. Our bags were packed, but the owner wasn't in a hurry and we'd do a better job if we weren't stressed by the heat.

Instead, we focused on new projects aboard Yofy and took some time out to do a little sailing in the Red Sea. Several weekends we sailed off for a few days, mooring out overnight. Out on the water temperatures were better, and we had the luxury of swimming off Yofy's stern late into the night. Dima joined us on our last sail and the passage home was a romp through gusty winds with Yofy burying her rail several times.

Days at the marina were spent reviewing work lists. After some small adjustments, our marine air conditioning unit functioned admirably through the heat. This summer for the first time we slept with the air conditioner on all night and on more than one morning, I greeted Manny with a big hug and a thank you for doing all the work to build and install the unit. It literally saved me this summer.

Photobucket

At the beginning of June Manny sketched out a design for a new cockpit table and set to work. After years of discussing what we wanted, he finally had time to tackle the job. The finished table fits perfectly, allows us to comfortably set out a meal and entertain, folds neatly away and he added shelves for holding cans and mugs when underway. We are really pleased with the outcome.

Photobucket

Awhile ago, we took advantage of a sale at West Marine and bought four 12 volt cabin fans. We planned to install them for use at anchor when our air conditioner wouldn't be working. This summer Manny installed them - two fans in the v berth and two in the cabin. Apart from the switch going on each new fan within a week of installing them, they have been working well. As for the switch Manny lucked out and found a quick solution at the local hardware store.

Photobucket

Surely the most involved project this summer was building and installing a holding tank. Yofy was built in the years when builders didn't contemplate the pollution concerns of an exploding yachting industry. Today, any boat wishing to cruise in the Med must consider outfitting a holding tank. However holding tanks have their downsides, as any liveaboard sailor knows. Few marinas offer pump out services and onboard odors can be offensive. We also faced the problem of where we could fit one on our 30 foot boat. Last summer Manny found a solution.

Ellen, the Lagoon 50 that we delivered last year had an interesting holding tank installation that Manny thought he could adapt for Yofy. So, alongside his other projects he began to sketch out plans. Soon he was building a pattern and checking how it would fit. A small bulkhead in the head needed altering and some new hoses needed fitting, but all in all, the tank wouldn't cramp our space. Moreover the innovative design should keep odors under control. By August he had built a fiberglass tank and fitted it in place. On our return he hopes to do the last stages of installation.

Another successful project he tackled this summer was changing our cabin lights to leds. This is something that Manny has wanted to do for a few years. The problem has been finding suitable leds at a reasonable price. This spring he happened upon a creative solution that will be featured next month on the Tips and Projects page of our new website Yoga and the Art of Boat Maintenance. The leds allow us to use cabin lights while at anchor without worrying about draining our batteries and as Manny says: "More battery life means more juice for the refrigerator. And more juice for the refrigerator means cold beer!"

As I write this blog we are two days away from setting off for our delivery job. Temperatures around the Med are gently cooling off and I am dreaming of pine trees and cool breezes. It surely has been a long, hot summer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Yofy
Vessel Make/Model: Fortune 30
Hailing Port: Red Sea
Crew: Robyn and Manny
About:
Our names are Manny Kremer and Robyn Coulter. We have been living on, and mucking around in boats most of our adult lives. Manny, who is an electrician, marine mechanic and refrigeration and air conditioning technician earns his keep maintaining other people's boats. [...]
Extra: Sailing in the winds of peace
Home Page: http://yogaandboatmaintenance.weebly.com/

Yofy

Who: Robyn and Manny
Port: Red Sea