Yolo - Bermuda

20 March 2017 | Belmont estates where the coco beans are dried
11 March 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
11 March 2017
03 March 2017
26 February 2017
22 February 2017 | Sunset from Happy Island
19 February 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
17 February 2017 | St George's Grenada
12 January 2017
04 January 2017
29 December 2016
22 December 2016

Tyrell Bay, Carriacou

11 March 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
We have been anchored for a week in Tyrell Bay. Most of the time the weather has been windy with a lots of squalls. Fortunately it is good holding here and the anchor is dug in really well, so we haven't dragged, so Dirk is sleeping well at night!

We met up with our friends on Certitude and had a movie night and card night with pot luck dinners. It was a lovely change form just the two of us. They are wanting to sail up to the British Virgin Islands to sell their catamaran, and the weather has not been favorable. Phyilis is my swimming partner, so we have been swimming most days, whi

I learnt from Facebook that my friend from Bermuda Doug Marshall was in Tyrell Bay. So the afternoon we arrived I took the dinghy and located his boat but he wasn't on it - I discovered through messenger that he was in using wifi at the art Gallery Cafe. The wonders of modern technology I went and joined him and we had a good natter. He sails the boat single handed down here in the Caribbean and will be back in Bermuda April/May time.

Dirk and I have had several meals out. Dirk's favorite restaurant in Carriacou is Slipway restaurant. We went there the first night we were here and had the BEST grilled tuna I have ever tasted!! Delicious!!! We also had lunch there yesterday and I had tuna again and it was up to the same standard. I also tasted tamarind a fruit grown on the island which has a sweet and sour taste. I had tamarind juice and a tart, both were delicious and different than what I'm used to.

We took the bus into Hillsborough - the main town - several time, to do some shopping. It definately has more variety and twice as many stores as Clifton on Union Island. i have noticed specialized food stores catering to the tastes of cruisers tourists and boat charters in these remote parts. The captain's store in Clifton which had a lot of really nice cheeses, wines, can goods etc with some awesome baked goods at a price!! Here in Carriacou we found Pati's Deli which had some really nice cold cuts, cheeses, sandwiches and other items. I guess the demand is there with the boat charter people, buying regardless. I found better fruit and veggies here than on union island which I have really enjoyed!!

Yesterday Thomas took us on a tour of the island. It was good to be on land, seeing parts that are not visible by bus and learning the history and culture of the the island. He took us to the hospital which is on the top of a hill- very windy! We discovered that it was placed there in 17th century to combat malaria. The mosquitos can't thrive in such a windy environment. Wooden boat are made on the island from local cedar trees, we saw a few being built amazing.

One sunny morning Phyilis and I went snorkeling in the mangroves to watch the amazing jellyfish that live in there. They lie on their backs and the tentacles are up in the air, which don't sting. It was an awesome sight to see!!

Tomorrow the plan is to head back to Prickly Bay. Murphy's law that the weather for the next 10 days is awesome for sailing North or south!! Oh well next time we will get further north and I won't be seasick.

Comments
Vessel Name: svyolo
Vessel Make/Model: Freedom 32
Hailing Port: Bermuda