Zen - family cruising catamaran

Family of 4 sailing from New England to Auckland, New Zealand '08-'10

26 August 2010 | Portsmouth, Rhode Island
27 April 2010 | Rhode Island
05 April 2010 | Fort Lauderdale, FL
24 March 2010 | Portsmouth, RI
19 February 2010 | middle of Pacific Ocean
12 February 2010 | Waiheke Island, NZ
08 February 2010 | Auckland, New Zealand
30 January 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
26 January 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
22 January 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
20 January 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
17 January 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
14 January 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
08 January 2010 | Los Angeles, CA
07 January 2010 | Newark International Airport
27 December 2009 | Rhode Island, USA
10 December 2009 | New Delhi, India
02 December 2009 | South Island, NZ
13 November 2009 | Whangarei, New Zealand
10 November 2009 | Opua and Kerikeri, New Zealand

Spinnaker Flying and Potlucks

22 June 2009 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Monique
This week has had ups and downs. Tom was really ill. At first we thought it was Dengue Fever, a mosquito-borne disease that knocks you down for a week or more. But after consulting a couple of local friends, we learned his symptoms were not completely resembling Dengue. Kamala just survived Dengue a few weeks ago and remembers her pain oh too well. At the same time, a piece of the watermaker broke after putting up a valiant fight. The internet allowed us to order the new part and have it flown to us. But, nothing is fast, not even Fed Ex Priority. So, here we'll wait for the part and continue shuttling water in jerry jugs to Zen or do the rain dance and catch rainwater...we call it farming water. In the meantime, laundry is piling up and showers are quick. How some cruising boats do this journey without a watermaker is totally beyond my comprehension. I admire them for their creativity and water conservation.

Cammi and I were also suffering from something, a cold, flu, not Dengue. We were moving slow. Fortunately for us, the illness did not hit until after we took Kamala's yoga class and a kick-butt Polynesian dance class with a dynamo named, Titaua (teet-ew-aah). How we love sailing...but when do we return to our dance studios in Rhode Island??? What a terrific work-out and when it was over, it was sweaty hugs and smiles all around just like back home. Kamala and Tony, her husband, were the directors for the spa on the Queen Mary II for 2 years. Quite a story. Yes, CeCe's ears should be burning. As a couple they managed the spa from the moment she was christened about 5 years ago in England. A year into it, the CEO of the French Polynesian Pearl Resorts was a guest onboard. He was a very kind man and gave them his card, saying he'd love to offer them a job at one of his many resorts. Sure enough, 3 years ago, he did, and they moved to Bora Bora. We stayed in their sister-property in Taha'a when Zen was being painted a few weeks ago. They run the most amazing spa I have ever laid my eyes on (www.boraborapearlresort.com - it's called the Manea Spa). Since their arrival, Kamala and Tony, originally from Arizona and Ohio, have had 2 children, age 1 and 3. They are a terrific couple and we've definitely enjoyed their company and their many invitations to relax at their hotel, located only a dinghy ride away from our mooring at Bora Bora Yacht Club.

Beyond all that, what else is happening? Cole is working his butt off to finish his final 3 days of school. Cammi is doing 7th grade math, French and piano lessons. We've watched a couple movies: "Meet the Fockers" and "Duma". Me and the kids have walked 20 minutes, one-way, into town, dodging cars, dogs and motorscooters. Upon arrival, we did what the French do, provision what you can into backpacks, and then make impromptu sandwiches out of the fresh baguettes and pate you just bought while drinking hand squeezed mango juice on the walk back to Zen. We've made little friendships w/the lovely ladies at the vegetable and fruit stands. While unpacking the bags, we find gifts of hospitality they have snuck in: an extra bunch of bananas and more watermelon and papaya than you can consume. I have started freezing my fruits when they ripen too quickly for our appetites. And, since we are always within range of good grocery stores now, my freezer is not full to the brim w/meat and cheese, therefore allowing me to put the ice cube trays in there! Yes, for the first time in a year, we have ice with our drinks on Zen. Big upgrade! What else? We did a circumnavigation of Bora Bora, finding a number of postcard-perfect anchorages in just 9 feet of water and white sand. Father's Day was spent daysailing on Zen from one anchorage to another w/Margie and Drew from s/v Dosia. Upon arrival, we dropped our hook next to s/v Dosia and s/v Flashback. Geoff had the spinnaker ready and invited everyone to take a "ride". You can see from the photo it was well worth the admission price. That's me up there. Everyone from Zen and Dosia went up, up and away while Julie and Geoff drove the sail from the bow of Flashback. After that, our kids and Tommy each did solo sails in Geoff's handmade sailing dinghy. Dad's day ended w/a dinner of pad Thai at the Sunset Bar in the new Four Seasons Resort. Tom was a smilin' guy...he is every day...but I was so grateful to have such awesome friends w/such cool toys to make his day special.

And to wrap it all up, we held our 11th Potluck Dinner on Zen tonight. It averages out to around one a month. There's usually between 3 to 4 boats that join us, but it's gone as high as 8. Best part is watching the food arrive! The menu tonight was a steaming hot cheesy-onion dip w/baguette, tuna mixture spread over crackers, popcorn as a munchie, handmade spring rolls w/Thai dipping sauce, chicken and primavera veggie risotto, insalata mixta, fresh watermelon, finished with chocolate cake and apple cinnamon egg rolls with vanilla cream sauce. Richard from s/v Karma was even pulling out the stops with his magic tricks and x-ray vision! Margie was revealing her background as a bartender by filling the salon w/jokes. Our sides hurt from laughing so much. And Julie, from Alaska, hinted at her bad-girl history...we need to have a reunion bash to get the rest of the story out of her! Want to come??? Open invite! The next one, will be in Aitutaki, Cook Islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zen
Vessel Make/Model: Atlantic 48' catamaran
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Tom, Monique and Kids
About:
Tom, Monique, Cammi, and Cole. Tom is the CEO/Founder for a high-tech advertising firm, which he just sold to a large US media company, giving us the ability to set sail. [...]
Extra:
Eight years ago, we sold our advertising company, and left terra firma on our monohull, "Uliad", for a family cruise. As soon as we returned to land, immediately we started planning our 2nd cruise. Here's the continuation of our journey, except this time the kids are active crew members, [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/zen/
Social:
Zen's Photos - s/v Zen - family cruising catamaran (Main)
New Zealand, Dockwise, and Florida
82 Photos
Created 14 January 2010
Bangkok, New Delhi, Rhode Island holidays and New Zealand
118 Photos
Created 27 December 2009
Australia & New Zealand
117 Photos
Created 3 November 2009
Tonga and New Zealand
102 Photos
Created 3 September 2009
Cook Islands, Samoa and Tonga
86 Photos
Created 9 August 2009
French Polynesia and Cook Islands
113 Photos
Created 28 July 2009
French Polynesia
49 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
Pacific Ocean Passage and French Polynesia
120 Photos
Created 19 May 2009
Panama City to Galapagos
81 Photos
Created 28 February 2009
Panama Canal, Costa Rica and Las Perlas
118 Photos
Created 28 January 2009
Cartagena, Panama, Puerto Rico/US, and Costa Rica
111 Photos
Created 30 December 2008
Autumn sailing
124 Photos
Created 13 September 2008
Where we are sailing in 2008/2009
1 Photo
Created 13 July 2008
Summertime '08
108 Photos
Created 1 July 2008
8 Photos
Created 31 May 2008
Delivery from Maine to Newport summer 2007
15 Photos
Created 27 April 2008
November 2007 - Tom, John and Scott
11 Photos
Created 27 April 2008
American Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands in 2007
358 Photos
Created 27 April 2008